[SOLVED] Questions about moving HDDs from old computer to new

Oct 3, 2019
This will be a multiple part question, To give you the basis of this, I have a old computer running windows 7 with it's main drive(2TB) and several secondary drives(512MB, 3TB, 4TBx2) (5 total) and a new computer that is running windows 10 off a 500MB SSD, with a secondary SSD I will be installing for extra cache space and storage. Both computers have everything they need to run by themselves. I'm not technologically illiterate but i'm not a pro either, I've made several successful upgrades to my old computer but most of what I know is self taught and thus I have many gaps in my knowledge. My questions are:

1: are there any issues i should worry about when moving the secondary drives from the old windows 7 computer to the new windows 10 computer?

2: I'm planning on backing up my User file on the old computer and restoring it onto the new computer's main drive, are there any issues this could cause (assuming that the user names are the same)

3: if i need extra space is there a way to link the user file to the secondary SSD (non-identical non-raid) so that the size of the user file is shared across the two drives?

4: Apart from the User file is there any other pertinent files i should look out for copying over to the new main SSD, as i plan on reformatting it and getting rid of the partitioned OS to turn it into another secondary drive, thus losing any remaining files

I plan on doing this tomorrow night/over the weekend if i need extra time, so quick, clear answers are best

Solution
1. If there are no "applications" on the secondary drive, no problem

2. No, you can't move the User file (folder). Even though the visible name is the same, it is a different User.
Won't work

3. No

4. You'll be doing a full wipe and reinstall of the OS and your applications on this drive. Back up any personal data, serial numbers, passwords, etc, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
1. If there are no "applications" on the secondary drive, no problem

2. No, you can't move the User file (folder). Even though the visible name is the same, it is a different User.
Won't work

3. No

4. You'll be doing a full wipe and reinstall of the OS and your applications on this drive. Back up any personal data, serial numbers, passwords, etc, etc.

Solution
Oct 3, 2019
thanks for the quick response! for some followup:

1: one of my secondary hard drives contains my steam library, which i already know how to set up once i reinstall steam so that it will check to see what i have downloaded and verify files, and a second contains non-steam games. I'm assuming you're referring to these which will have to be reinstalled even though i have the games' data on them already, the reinstall process will just be faster as I already have the data, it just needs to make entries into the registry and whatnot?

2: does this mean i won't be able to transfer things such as my appdata folder and other files that contain things like savegames and configs? I assume pictures/videos/audio don't particularly care what user file they belong to, but I'm curious as to what the incompatibilities are in this instance. Is it the User file as a whole or specific files within the User/username structure?

4: by personal data i'm assuming you mean pictures/videos/audio/documents etc that can be found in the User files, but where would I find the serials that I should be backing up?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Steam games area almost certainly OK.
You just have to tell the new Steam client where they are on that drive.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

2. The whole of the /User/ folder tree is linked to that original User. Even if it is the same 'name', it is not the same NTFS user.
Game saves, you'd have to find individually.

4. Personal data = Doc/Movies/Etc. And NOT the entire Library of /Documents/ Just the individual files inside those libraries.
Buy serial numbers, I was referring to any software you have installed that may need its licensing number or log in name/password.

You'll be doing a whole new install on this new system. Starting fresh. Treat it just like your old system was on Day 1.
New OS, installation of all your applications, etc, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
Good luck.

As far as the /User/ folder taking up a lot of space...I just checked mine.
A total of 82.5GB. And that with a LOT of application data.
I have the vast majority of my personal docs (video/music/CAD/photo/etc/etc) off on other drives.

Oct 3, 2019
Ok i've got the thing set up finally, and i plugged my hdmi cable from my tv into the video card (a rx 590 fatboy) and i get no signal. I'm plugged into the leftmost port as the other three are a different style of plug. I tried plugging it into the hdmi port on the motherboard and still nothing. It very breifly says retreiving data then goes to no signal. Cord and tv both work with my old comp running a 270.

Last edited: