Question Questions about my AMD Ryzen 3900X thermals...

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a brand new Cyberpower PC with a AMD Ryzen 3900X using the stock AMD Wraith Prism air cooler. The motherboard is a MSI MPG Carbon Pro Wi-Fi and the video card is a MSI GeForce NVidia RTX2060.

After boot-up, under no load, the CPU Temp is approx 50-60 degrees centigrade. When using the CPU to encode with Handbrake 1.2.2, the CPU temp rises to ~92-95 degrees centigrade which I think is way too high. The CPU voltage is always pretty high, about 1.38-1.4 volts. I only saw the temp drop to about 0.7 volts after I bought it but since I installing all the software and apps, it never drops below 1.3 volts.

At idle, the CPU fan spins at 850-1000 rpm and pegs at 3000 rpm under load.

Is this normal for the 3900X or should I be concerned? My old Skylake Intel i7-6700K never got above 75 degrees centigrade.

I also bought a Corsair H115i Pro AIO Liquid Cooler as a precaution. I plan on installing it once i work out some issues I am having with CyberPower (the PC case was advertised as having eight drives bays but only has two). Is this AIO the best route to go or are there better options?

Yea CyberPower is a bad apple.

They are known to have pathetic warranties, scary quality power supplies, and other bad things.

Those temperatures look pretty abnormal. I would think a quick CPU repaste and cooler remount would solve the issue, but if you already have a h115i, why not install it.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I don't want to change anything until I get everything resolved and getting the warranty voided. I did notice an odd thing. I just changed the CPU settings in the power setting to 99%. The voltage dropped to 1.1 volts, the temp dropped to70 degrees but the CPU frequency dropped to 3.7GHz. Oddly, it did not change the speed or time for encoding videos at all. The CPU load is about 70%, a tad higher than before.

Maybe the CPU wasn't taxed by Handbrake so the timing stayed the same.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Yeah, Cyberpower PC was pretty useless in resolving my chassis issue... I ordered a specific chassis because their website stated it can handle five 3.5" drives but in reality it only has space for two. After talking with them, they said that there are no mid-tower cases available that can handle an optical drive as well as several 3.5" drives.

I checked various manufacturers and they were right. Almost all mid-tower cases only can handle two 2.5" and two/three 3.5" drives. While I could find some cases on the OEM sites, Amazon has no stock in them and the OEM sites shows inventory as no longer available. The only mid-tower case i could find was the Corsair 100R which can take two optical, two SSD and three 3.5" drives. But the case is very compact and cannot handle a 240mm or 280mm AIO radiator which my Ryzen 3900X needs.

Luckily, I still have my Corsair Obsidian 750D chassis so i am transplanting everything. Only thing the Corsair case is a full tower and is very large, about 22x22x8 inches.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
OK... I transplanted my new PC into my old Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower case. I also just got my Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO rad, two extra Corsair RGB ML140 fans and MSI RTX2070 GPU at the same time. So it was the perfect time to do everything at once. I also used Kryonaut thermal paste over the Corsair stock thermal paste.

As a reminder, I wanted to use the 750D because I have four six terabyte 3.5" drives (one is a single data drive and the other three are spanned to be one 18TB volume for data backups) and an optical Blu-Ray drive.

Ran into a problem after installing the mobo (MSI MPG Carbon Pro Wifi X570 mobo) and the radiator in the front of the case. If I put the rad in the front, it vacates one of the two 3.5" triple drive bays. I had to remove the rad and place it on the top of the case. I installed one of the extra fans as an intake in the front and one as the exhaust. I made a mistake of having ALL the fans facing the wrong way and had to reinstall them all. It ended up taking me a whole day to sort things out and get it running. The only glitch I had was that the power for the RGB fans got unplugged somehow during the install but that was a quick fix.

My original AMD 3900X was cooled by the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler which idled at about 50-60 degrees and was hitting 95-98 degrees under load when encoding videos with Handbrake. With the Corsair H115i AIO the idle temp dropped to 45 degrees and peaks at 85-87 degrees. a noticeable decrease about 10-15 degrees for each. I have the cooler running in quiet mode which makes the running temp a tad higher than balanced settings. The cooler is almost inaudible when the case is enclosed.

One thing I still noticed is that the CPU is still running at about 1.375 volts, even when at idle. I updated the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest ones and that did not make any difference.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I just updated my motherboard BIOS to MSi's latest, 7B93V12 which was supposedly released 09/02/19 but posted 09/12/19...

Using Core Temp or HW Monitor the CPU speed does not throttle down to 99% (3.72 GHz) when the max speed is set to 99% in the Control Panel (in ANY of the power plans) but shows ~4.275 GHz. The CPU voltage constantly shows ~1.497v and temps average about 50 degrees.

But in Ryzen Master, the Core Temp shows 43 degrees and CPU speed at ~550 MHz (the minimum CPU speed in Control Panel is 5%. Even when set to 85%, the CPU speed on idle does not change. The voltage also still shows about 1.497 v.

So this update ignores the control panel settings which is not a good idea. When running Cinebench 20, the CPU hits 4.0 GHz, temps of 75 degrees. But PPT, TDC and EDC all pegs 100% in the red.

I would not recommend you upgrade to this BIOS right now...

TRENDING THREADS