Questions about my build

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
So far, this is what I have. I've hit the main meat of the tower itself, but I'm looking for flare and other questions about the tower case.
(When I say no brainer, I mean you already know what I'm referring to, or I assume so. Not "It's a no brainer pick.")
Case: P400 Steel ATX White MID Tower Tempered Glass Amazon Link
PSU: HXi 1200i Platinum (Corsair) Amazon Link
OS ONLY HD (SSD) 250GB Samsung Evo 850 Amazon Link
Data Drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD Newegg Link (Amazon is out of stock)
Graphics Card: ASUS Strix GTX 1080 (This is a no brainer)
CPU: Intel 7700k (Also a no brainer)
CPU Cooling System: Corsair Hydro H115 (280MM)
RAM: Ripjaw V 2x16 (x2 for 64 GB) Newegg Link (Item was on sale, also this has actually been purchased. Only item I've actually bought so far)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Amazon Link

I am using a SSD (SMALL one at that) as my OS drive. It will do nothing but run the OS. Kind of large (yes this contradicts my "small" statement, but it's large for it being only for the OS, and small on the grand scheme of HDD space), but its a "good buy" for an SSD on amazon, it's relatively cheap, and it's fast for a SATA connection type drive. I'm not using the M.2 drive because I've read there are BIOS issues or the likes of it not being able to boot from the M.2 properly sometimes.
I went with the 960 EVO because it's a bit cheaper for only a small loss in read/write speed (and the pro is largely out of stock)
The STRIX GTX is for the lighting (and I'm an asus fanboy, alongside about an hour of review reading between the leading EVGA, I think gigabyte, and Asus reviews.)
The ASUS ROG Strix just hits what I need. I don't need what the Maximus series has to offer.
I'm sticking with air cooling for all except the CPU, as I've done this before and IMO, its not worth the extra money for a seemingly marginal improvement in throughput from less heat.
The Ripjaws I read about for almost 2 days. I compared between Corsair, Gskill, Ballistix, and HyperX, and I came to the conclusion of Ripjaws instead of Titans. Plus I think they look better. I went with 64GB because why not, and they were on sale for 194 for a pair (So I just bought two pairs).

So, my questions.
Is the case worth the value I'm putting inside it. Is there a better option for cooling as far as a white case with black contrast and blue accent lighting.

What size fans come on this case, or is it standard for most cases as the 140mm I think it is fans.

Do I need to purchase some sort of fan controller or additional power cords or USB plugs if I'm going to run blue LED Fans.

What's a good company that produces good quality fans that also don't look like a disco strobe show or like laser spotlights because they're too bright or too focused.

Does Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste really make a difference, or does any thermal paste actually work.

Finally, can someone, if they want to take the time, give me an outside look opinion on whether that build is actually good. I spent from Friday night to Sunday night looking at reviews and comparisons on all of those parts to come to the conclusion I did, except the case, which a friend referred me.

MrCrazy0ne

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
I assume tempered glass is a must. Heres a link for a case that I plan to use when i make a white build for my pc upgrades.
That case is ok, i like the look and it seems that it would last a good time and still looks stunning with the tempered glass. If that case really has you dying then get it. If you really don't care, then there are lots of tempered glass cases out there.

Heres the case i plan to upgrade to from my current case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHBY0JQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017

That actually is a pretty good looking case. I've also noticed that the case I have here seems to come with a lot of extra parts, and has a top vent port, which I tend to agree with since, well, heat rises.

MrCrazy0ne

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Yea, about the ram. You may need to do some research about ram compatibility. I had a crap pc that i used for about 2 months and it had a mix of ddr3 from corsair and gskill. It worked fine but is not recommended as if one cant go as high as the other one for overclocking. Later on you probably should have bought a 4x16gb kit instead of 2 2x16gb kits.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017

Let me clarify what I mean't by a no brainer, I meant you guys understand what I'm saying off the top of your head when I mention it. I didn't feel the need to particularly link the ram.
Now, I did ask around before I bought those. I understand that they are to be synchronized, but I also was told as long as I buy in pairs I should be alright. Plus, they were on sale as pairs (194 a pair), vs around 430-450 for a set of four 16gb sticks. If I have an issue with them not wanting to work together, I should probably be able to return them or sell them if anything.

MrCrazy0ne, I am just getting the RAM as is and probably not going to do a lot of OC. To note, I do understand that the base clock on ram is 2400, and this is set at 3200. I understand it's an OC, but I don't plan to push it further is what I'm saying. I've fried components before doing OC (Not right away, but I reduced the lifetime significantly). I don't really feel an overwhelming need to overclock my stuff. I didn't even purchase a OC'd graphics card, its the base clock. If I want to OC it later I'll set it up.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
Calvin7, I read the question you posted, but that specifically states mixing brands or models. It's literally the same brand, model, everything. I would assume that "memory kit" implies specifically packaged pairs or 4packs of ram then, or does it imply same set models and tiers with the exact same specifications?

lrrelevant

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Downgrade that psu. For less money you can get a seasonic prime 750, currently the best consumer psu on the market, next to none. Also something like the Maximus IX Apex, for better overclocking and ram overclocking, only having 2 high performance ram slots. There's in my opinion no reason to go 7700k if you don't Overclock, which the apex board will do better than any other, at a respectable pricetag compared to the Z270E. (And looks WAY better!!)

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
Ok. I'll definitely look at that PSU. I didn't figure I needed the 1200 since I'm running one card. I will stick with the z270e since I've already purchased the ram, so I need 4 slots and the ram will be set at 3200. I had to clarify in the memory forum and have a better understanding of over clocking now. Based on that information I will be over clocking.

lrrelevant

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Overclocking is defintely worth it! With an H115i you can EASILY overclock to 5+ GHz without any worries. Anyone going z270 should overclock, as kaby lake's primary advantage over skylake is overclocking headroom.