questions about my new 1080 graphics card not performing as well as it should

filipebow

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
so i recently bought this card 1080 gcard mostly was to play vr with no issues etc i just bought gta v and put on max settings and ran ran benchmark test was getting average of 40 fps then when the jet was flying got 30 then when it gets to the part that drives the car and it crashes 10 fps. i thought this was strange so i googled the internet for optimal settings on gta v came across this articlelink to article in that article a guy posted what he used and got 90 fps with same card?so i changed to these settings same result. now im super confused.
i usually play overwatch and when i installed card got a significant increase over my old card which was a 780. i used to get 50-70 fps now i get a solid 200 fps
then in another game i play rocketleague i get same fps as before which is 120 can go up to 300 so now im kind of lost was hoping someone can give me some insight why this is happening about ready to return the card have 2 weeks to do so.
here are my pc specs
mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme4
cpu:Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz
ram:2xG.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
HD:SSD SAMSUNG 840 pro series
PSU:CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W
Liquid cool cpuCORSAIR Hydro Series H100
GPU:ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
2nd hd:Seagate 3TB Surveillance HDD 3.5

i was thinking that my cpu since its so old might be bottle necking my gpu just because during the gta v run i monitored the usage of cpu and was at 100% entire time sometimes would be at 80 pct but spent most of the time at 100

also the first time i installed gta v i put it on my 3tb non ssd so when i get home from work ima put gta v on a ssd but im not sure that will make a huge difference i read on some fourms that fixed other peoples issues

i also can oc the cpu im setup to do it just never really needed the power
any thoughts on this issue?:??:

i also have update my graphics driver and is up to date

Solution

For gaming i5 and i7 don't make that much difference.

Plus he can OC his chip to at least 4.5Ghz easy and it could handle any GPU you put in it.

It's more likely heat, HDD or something else.

Dethan1999

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
It might be the CPU. Not a severe bottleneck, but if anything, that is causing the lower FPS. GTA uses a LOT of the CPU. More than you'd think. The I5 3570k is NOT a bad chip. It might just be reaching the point where the higher end Graphics Cards are starting to make it bottleneck. You may consider upgrading to a newer I7 CPU for Socket 1155 (or you can buy a new motherboard and CPU). But overall I think it is fine. I think the 3570k FINALLY reached it's point of bottleneck. I mean, you have an extreme new GPU, and a fairly older (but still good) CPU. Just my thoughts. I think lowering some of the CPU-demanding settings can help. Depending on the game, Shadow settings rely a lot on the CPU.

I have an i7-3770k with msi gtx 1080 seahwak and it runs gta V just fine.

What resolution are you gaming at?

What temperatures are you getting while gaming?

PS. I personally thing that you are hitting 75C on CPU with stock cooler and the CPU is thermal throttling. I need more info tho.

Dethan1999

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

I think it would be a good idea to upgrade his CPU to an I7 that is compatible with his Motherboard. If it works perfectly for you, it should work for him.

ya, gta v is something not to gauge things by poor optimized game

why not use firestrike ? then you can see results from like cpu and card scores

[ ''Number of GPUs'' = 1 ] firestrike 1080p scores

http://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=1.124512650.1885901689.1468022640#/?mode=advanced&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/cpugpu/fs/P/1430/1085/500000?minScore=0&cpuName=Intel Core i5-3570K Processor&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

depending on any CPU and GPU overclocking involved you should be in that ball park of scores

sad thing is too many guy blame hardware fault when its most times crap / poorly optimized games / programs there running

3770k Graphics Score 25 137

3570k Graphics Score 24 923

so there you see no help to the card but the physics [all cpu ] the hyperthreading comes in to play

3770k Physics Score 12 853

3570k Physics Score 9 051

but not so great leap

For gaming i5 and i7 don't make that much difference.

Plus he can OC his chip to at least 4.5Ghz easy and it could handle any GPU you put in it.

It's more likely heat, HDD or something else.

Solution

Dethan1999

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Very true. I was more thinking of the Single Core Performance difference between his CPU and an I7. But yes, what you said makes more sense.

filipebow

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
so thanks for all the suggestions in the end tho it was my hd that was causing the lag as i forgot that the 3tb was a storage only hd and was very bad for gaming but i will oc the cpu tho intead of buying one seems like the smart move for now until i decide to buy new mobo ram etc

TRENDING THREADS