[SOLVED] Questions about my new 144Hz display

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Hello, I bought the BenQ Zowie XL2411P 144Hz 1080p monitor, and I'm using an RTX 2060 Super, with an R5 2600 and 16GB of DDR4 3200 RAM, if you need that info.

I chose this monitor because it's within my budget, plus I like the design and I've read that it's not a mediocre one. Also, I'm upgrading from a 60Hz monitor (and never experienced a lot of tearing or frame skips). The problem is that it doesn't support G-sync or Free Sync. Is it really a problem? Is it a way to prevent tearing with some sort of software, or forcing the G-sync? Will I see a noticeable improvement compared to my 60Hz monitor? I don't know much about monitors, sorry if my questions sound stupid.

Thanks!

Solution
The problem is that it doesn't support G-sync or Free Sync. Is it really a problem?
Not really.
Is it a way to prevent tearing with some sort of software, or forcing the G-sync?
Adaptive vsync option in Nvidia control panel.
It limits fps to refresh rate of the screen and turns off vsync, if fps is below refresh rate.
Will I see a noticeable improvement compared to my 60Hz monitor?
In the beginning - yes. But you get used to it very quickly. After that, if you switch back to 60Hz, it will feel wrong and stuttery.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
There's usually in every game a "V-Sync" option. When activated, the pc only produces exactly 144hz (or enable buffering so it stops at 143Hz -> completely eliminates screen tearing).

One issue tho: your response time may increase a bit.

Reactions: Ley

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
There's usually in every game a "V-Sync" option. When activated, the pc only produces exactly 144hz (or enable buffering so it stops at 143Hz -> completely eliminates screen tearing).

One issue tho: your response time may increase a bit.

What are the downsides of a slightly higher response time? I don't think it can be worse than my current monitor.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
What are the downsides of a slightly higher response time? I don't think it can be worse than my current monitor.
I don't know how much it is, but in my opinion not noticable. My guess it's 2-5 ms? I'm using it all the times and I've been playing on many different monitors. Didn't feel any difference. Mostly because I don't play these ultra fast pace games like fortnite...

The problem is that it doesn't support G-sync or Free Sync. Is it really a problem?
Not really.
Is it a way to prevent tearing with some sort of software, or forcing the G-sync?
It limits fps to refresh rate of the screen and turns off vsync, if fps is below refresh rate.
Will I see a noticeable improvement compared to my 60Hz monitor?
In the beginning - yes. But you get used to it very quickly. After that, if you switch back to 60Hz, it will feel wrong and stuttery.

Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you can, never enable vsync, you will feel the difference

gsync and freesync are better implementations of vsync, but alot more agile and faster to react, also they can go up or down in fps speed according to the pc and the game, vsync alot of times will lock the pc to 60hz and basically 60fps, so the 144hz monitor is not doing its best and will perform like the old one you had basically, in terms of hz, not image quality or colors and response time from the new panel

if the tear is not terrible, never enable vsync

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
if you can, never enable vsync, you will feel the difference

gsync and freesync are better implementations of vsync, but alot more agile and faster to react, also they can go up or down in fps speed according to the pc and the game, vsync alot of times will lock the pc to 60hz and basically 60fps, so the 144hz monitor is not doing its best and will perform like the old one you had basically, in terms of hz, not image quality or colors and response time from the new panel

if the tear is not terrible, never enable vsync

Won't v-sync lock the FPS to my monitor's refresh rate? So 144?

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Won't v-sync lock the FPS to my monitor's refresh rate? So 144?
If you configured it correctly in windows, yes. It should lock it to 144hz. I don't know what the guy above me is talking about.

Edit: I can totally agree that G-sync/free sync is better than V-sync.

I think you should try it with and without. You'll see whats better

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Not really.

I'm glad it's no big deal if it doesn't have Gsync. I was a bit worried to be honest.

Sweet, I'll check that as soon as I get the monitor.

I've heard 60Hz to 144Hz is a world of a difference, and I've never tried that high of a refresh rate. The maximum I've tried is 73Hz, by overclocking my current monitor. I'm excited!

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
for example, my current monitor is a tv, capable of 120hz, supposedly

gta when i enable vsync will lock the game to 60hz

i prefer it disabled because it does feel different, the game feels slow

other games do default to vsync at 60hz, newer games should lock to a better value, but it is not a rule, alot of games will lock to 60, some even at 30hz, this is not a unified experience

the difference with vsync and freesync or gsync is that the limitation is not imposed by the game, but by the gpu and monitor, so it reacts faster, doesn't feel slow, doesn't load pc with this limiter that does affect the game performance

Without adaptive sync your goal might be to choose graphics settings that will enable sustainable frame rates for a target refresh rate. For example, ME:SoW averages 93 FPS on the 2060 Super with Ultra settings. You could make a custom resolution in nVidia conrtol panel with refresh rate of 90 Hz and use vsync to eliminate tearing. If you want higher FPS, go down to High or Medium settings to bump up FPS and maybe 100Hz or 120Hz would be a possibility.

Doing it this way, you will minimize dropped frames so it will feel smoother and eliminate tearing because vsync is active.

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016