[SOLVED] Questions about my new AMD build

Mike12944

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
So I just upgraded my system from an Intel 3570k to the new AMD 5800x. So far it is running nice. It was a nice upgrade. Went to a water cooled system and upgraded my ram to 32GB. I also bought a 1TB M.2 drive. Anyhow I'll stop rambling. I was needing some advice to complete the upgrade.

1. Should I update my BIOS? It seems to be running fine but anytime I update my BIOS I get nervous. I have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus ELITE WIFI.

2. What is the quickest and easiest way to clone my current SSD to the new M.2 drive?

Thank you for the help guys.

Solution
BIOS' don't really have any security issues so unless your vendor recommends one for stability or other reasons and you have not noticed any instability that may be pointing to hardware issues, feel free to keep your system as it is. It's always recommended to update your BIOS to the latest version to take advantage of all the chipset features but if you don't feel like it just take your time and you can do it any time in the future. Just my two cents here.

For the cloning process I've always been using Acronis True Image both for personal and work systems but there are many alternatives, free and paid.

Cheers!

Koykis

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
BIOS' don't really have any security issues so unless your vendor recommends one for stability or other reasons and you have not noticed any instability that may be pointing to hardware issues, feel free to keep your system as it is. It's always recommended to update your BIOS to the latest version to take advantage of all the chipset features but if you don't feel like it just take your time and you can do it any time in the future. Just my two cents here.

For the cloning process I've always been using Acronis True Image both for personal and work systems but there are many alternatives, free and paid.

Cheers!

Reactions: Mike12944
Solution

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020

Cheers!
I used Acronis to clone from my existing rubbish M.2 to my new Sabrent Rocket M.2. I was getting terrible performance from the new M.2, after speaking to their support, they told me that cloning the OS drive is rarely successful and should do a fresh windows install. This did improve performance or the drive. Just a word of warning to OP

Reactions: Koykis