Questions about new Dell desktops

Looking at buying either a 4600 or 8300 and I'm wondering what the
differences are between these two?
Other than price, what makes the 8300 better (if that's the case?)

Also,

1. Do new desktops come with USB 2.0 installed?

2. Do they also come with most of the Windows critical updates (including
SP1) already installed?

I've had a Dimension 4500 for a year and a half and am encountering problems
I can't resolve, even after reformatting the hard drive!! Way too bizarre
for me.

TIA!

The 8300 has a bigger more expandable case and a 'better' chipset. If
you're patient, the 8300 sometimes falls below the 4600 in price.

USB2 is standard in all Dells now.

SP1 yes, all updates no. It's not practical as their image needs to last
longer.

Post your problems. We might be able to help.

Tom
"Kiddie Grinder" <828CS@sony.com> wrote in message
> Looking at buying either a 4600 or 8300 and I'm wondering what the
> differences are between these two?
> Other than price, what makes the 8300 better (if that's the case?)
>
> Also,
>
> 1. Do new desktops come with USB 2.0 installed?
>
> 2. Do they also come with most of the Windows critical updates (including
> SP1) already installed?
>
> I've had a Dimension 4500 for a year and a half and am encountering
problems
> I can't resolve, even after reformatting the hard drive!! Way too bizarre
> for me.
>
> TIA!

Phillip

Tom,

> The 8300 has a bigger more expandable case and a 'better' chipset.

If I upgrade the processor in the 4600 to (let's say) a "Pentium® 4
Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology", won't the chipset
be the same as the 8300 with a "Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front
side bus/ HT Technology"?

Currently, the 4600 is about $300 cheaper with a similar configured system.
Just trying to understand what is really different between them and if the
difference is worth the cost. The bigger chasis in the 8300 doesn't make
much of a difference for me.

Phillip

> The 8300 has a bigger more expandable case and a 'better' chipset. If
> you're patient, the 8300 sometimes falls below the 4600 in price.
>
> USB2 is standard in all Dells now.
>
> SP1 yes, all updates no. It's not practical as their image needs to last
> longer.
>
> Post your problems. We might be able to help.
>
> Tom
> "Kiddie Grinder" <828CS@sony.com> wrote in message
> > Looking at buying either a 4600 or 8300 and I'm wondering what the
> > differences are between these two?
> > Other than price, what makes the 8300 better (if that's the case?)
> >
> > Also,
> >
> > 1. Do new desktops come with USB 2.0 installed?
> >
> > 2. Do they also come with most of the Windows critical updates
(including
> > SP1) already installed?
> >
> > I've had a Dimension 4500 for a year and a half and am encountering
> problems
> > I can't resolve, even after reformatting the hard drive!! Way too
bizarre
> > for me.
> >
> > TIA!

> The 8300 has a bigger more expandable case and a 'better' chipset. If
> you're patient, the 8300 sometimes falls below the 4600 in price.
>
> USB2 is standard in all Dells now.
>
> SP1 yes, all updates no. It's not practical as their image needs to last
> longer.
>
> Post your problems. We might be able to help.

Thanks Tom for the info..........

I cannot get a media player (ANY media player) to work correctly... it hangs
during music or video playback everytime... I thought the reformat would
cure this, but it is back for good, evidently. The CPU usage stays low and
pretty steady and when it hangs, the usage suddenly jumps to 100%--- then
goes back down when it gets back to normal play. Real Player, Windows MP--
doesn't matter-- they both suffer the same problem.

For the first year of use, this was never a problem.

Now, I suddenly can't get CHKDSK to work anymore and though it is a known
issue, it's annoying since it worked just fine all this time until today.
Very odd it seems to me.

OK, you lost me. You can't get them to work on what model, what OS?

> > The 8300 has a bigger more expandable case and a 'better' chipset. If
> > you're patient, the 8300 sometimes falls below the 4600 in price.
> >
> > USB2 is standard in all Dells now.
> >
> > SP1 yes, all updates no. It's not practical as their image needs to last
> > longer.
> >
> > Post your problems. We might be able to help.
> >

> Thanks Tom for the info..........
>
> I cannot get a media player (ANY media player) to work correctly... it
hangs
> during music or video playback everytime... I thought the reformat would
> cure this, but it is back for good, evidently. The CPU usage stays low
and
> pretty steady and when it hangs, the usage suddenly jumps to 100%--- then
> goes back down when it gets back to normal play. Real Player, Windows
MP--
> doesn't matter-- they both suffer the same problem.
>
> For the first year of use, this was never a problem.
>
> Now, I suddenly can't get CHKDSK to work anymore and though it is a known
> issue, it's annoying since it worked just fine all this time until today.
> Very odd it seems to me.

"Kiddie Grinder" <828CS@sony.com> wrote in message
> Looking at buying either a 4600 or 8300 and I'm wondering what the
> differences are between these two?
> Other than price, what makes the 8300 better (if that's the case?)

The 4600 (like the 2400) is made with a smaller chassis, and under contract
(MiTac in China). The 8300 has a larger, more expandable case and is
assembled by Dell.

> Also,
>
> 1. Do new desktops come with USB 2.0 installed?

Yes.

> 2. Do they also come with most of the Windows critical updates (including
> SP1) already installed?

SP1, certainly; all patches, probably not -- Microsoft releases these too
freqently for manufacturers to keep up with all of them.

in short, the 8300 is offered with some higher performance components, and
not offered with some lower performance components, and has a larger case,
positioning it as more expandable and potentially faster machine (for more
money, of course).

in detail, this is hot the dimension 8300 and 4600 differ:
-the 8300 has an intel 875p chipset the 4600 has an intel 865p. the
differences between these chipsets are not huge, but the 875p can support
ecc type memory and is 'optimized' for hyper threading (in theory offering
overall better performance)... otherwise they appear essentially the same
to me (perhaps i am missing something).
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm
-the 8300 is offered by dell with faster processors and some additional
video card options (not that the 4600 is incapable of supporting these other
items, they are just not offered for sale with them, in essence making the
8300 a 'higher end' system)
-the 8300 has two 3.5" external and internal bays vs. the 4600 which only
has one of each (one required in either system for optional floppy drive),
both have two 5.25" external bays.
-the 8300 has 4 pci slots, the 4600 has 3
-the 8300 is slightly taller, slightly deeper, but slightly thinner than the
4600

> OK, you lost me. You can't get them to work on what model, what OS?

Dimension 4500; Wintel P4; XP Home; 512 MB RAM

I'm sorry, I follow too many threads to possibly keep track when you don't
quote.