[SOLVED] questions about OEM keys

Nov 24, 2020
I have a Windows 10 Home Single Language installed on my laptop with an OEM key. I want to upgrade it to a pro version and i found a cheap OEM pro key online. My question is:
1-what would happen if i install it with the Win 10 Pro OEM key i'll buy from internet? Will my Home OEM license in bios be replaced with a Pro OEM license or will i lose my pro OEM key when i do a fresh reinstall?
2-what would happen if i buy the halved price from Microsoft Store? does it make my Home OEM version a Pro retail version?

Solution
I have a Windows 10 Home Single Language installed on my laptop with an OEM key. I want to upgrade it to a pro version and i found a cheap OEM pro key online. My question is:
"Cheap" + "OEM" + "Windows 10" = Not Valid.

1. There is no magical 'cheap'
  2. For an individual license purchase, 'OEM' isn't really a thing with Win 10.
  3. Why Win 10 Pro? Unless you need to specific corporate level functions, it works just the same as Home.

USAFRet

Titan
"Cheap" + "OEM" + "Windows 10" = Not Valid.

1. There is no magical 'cheap'
  2. For an individual license purchase, 'OEM' isn't really a thing with Win 10.
  3. Why Win 10 Pro? Unless you need to specific corporate level functions, it works just the same as Home.

Solution
Nov 24, 2020
If you buy a VALID Win 10 Pro from Microsoft, it will work. What is this "halved price"?
Again...why Pro?
What i mean by halved is when you have a Home version already licensed, MS Store will let you upgrade to Pro for half(i am not completely sure if its half or not but its significantly cheaper than buying pro directly)the price of directly buying it from scratch. So it's completely genuine, but my question is what will happen if i buy and activate it from either of them. What will happen with the pro OEM and what will happen with the upgrade option in the MS Store?

USAFRet

Titan
What i mean by halved is when you have a Home version already licensed, MS Store will let you upgrade to Pro for half(i am not completely sure if its half or not but its significantly cheaper than buying pro directly)the price of directly buying it from scratch. So it's completely genuine, but my question is what will happen if i buy and activate it from either of them. What will happen with the pro OEM and what will happen with the upgrade option in the MS Store?
If you purchase it directly from MS, it is valid.

Whatever 'online OEM' thing you're looking at...not valid.

What type of key it will become depends on the origin of the key you get from this reseller. We can't tell you.

What I do know is that if you enter a pro key onto a pc with home installed it will prompt you to upgrade your version of Windows. The system will then reboot and update to pro in a similar process to a normal Windows update. It will not cause any data loss or anything.

Pro usually isn't needed, just in general.

USAFRet

Titan
My question is not whether it is valid or not, it's what would happen afterwards. What type of key will it become, a retail or a OEM?
With Win 10, "OEM" isn't so much of a thing as it used to be.
It only counts with a preinstalled OS, that came with the laptop.

A VALID upgrade that YOU purchase, it won't be "OEM" anymore. Not that that makes any difference, until/unless you sell it.

And still...why Pro?

Nov 24, 2020
With Win 10, "OEM" isn't so much of a thing as it used to be.
It only counts with a preinstalled OS, that came with the laptop.

A VALID upgrade that YOU purchase, it won't be "OEM" anymore. Not that that makes any difference, until/unless you sell it.

And still...why Pro?
i know pro doesn't change much, but i need the remote desktop feature and instead of tinkering around with RDP Wrapper or other ways of illegally upgrading to windows pro, i thought the cheaper version sold in the internet would be a great deal, because where i live, windows isn't very cheap

USAFRet

Titan
i know pro doesn't change much, but i need the remote desktop feature and instead of tinkering around with RDP Wrapper or other ways of illegally upgrading to windows pro, i thought the cheaper version sold in the internet would be a great deal, because where i live, windows isn't very cheap
If you need Pro, buy valid Pro.

Otherwise, you're on your own and we are done here.