Questions about online schools...

Katiania

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
In 1997 I graduated from a community college with and Associates degree in computer repair and technical support. Because of my marital situation, I was unable to move to a bigger city for work as I had intended to do after graduation. Instead, I had to settle for a entry-level call center job that didn't even consider my AAAS and hired anyone off the street.

Now, years and several un-related jobs later, I am working at a minimum wage job in retail and am DESPERATE to change my situation. I have to work full-time due to my current spouses health issues keeping him from working. He does get SSI but we barely scrape by each month. Because I have really been out of the industry for so long, I need to start over. Every decent paying IT job posting I see requires a Bachelors degree and numerous certifications.

I don't live near any brick-and-mortar schools that offer IT programs that I would be interested in. For several days, I have been researching the multitudes of online colleges and universities that offer IT degrees. I am not sure at this point how much financial aid I will get and the costs of most of these schools are pretty high. Looking at accreditation, graduation rates, retention rates, tuition fees, and the student reviews/complaints, has my head spinning!

I think I have settled on National University located in La Jolla, California, even though I live in South Carolina. I like the idea of one class a month instead of three classes in three-four months like many other schools. I need flexibility and affordability. I am leaning towards the BSIS with minor is CS to give me a well rounded degree. I do enjoy mathematics but a full CS degree is more math than I can handle. I really want to be able to fit into many different IT roles so I will have better options after graduation. Cloud computing and mobile technology seems to be the way to go but I don't want to get a deeply focused degree that may limit me or even become obsolete before I have a chance to use it. This happened to me with my AAAS when the only programming class they offered me was in PASCAL and then the next quarter they changed it to C++. I couldn't afford to retake the class.

So I guess my main question is: what are some opinions of National University and/or BS degrees from online universities like NU? Anyone have helpful advice or suggestions on my situation? I have submitted my FAFSA application and started my application to NU but have yet to spend the $60 application fee that I really can't afford to pay but will because this is important to me. Thanks in advance!

RealBeast

Titan
I would recommend that you only consider an online program from a real brick and mortar school, preferably in South Carolina where you will get in state tuition and have a chance at financial aid. There are numerous schools in each state -- real schools -- including South Carolina that offer online BS degrees in IT related fields.

A degree from a place that is really set up just to be a big online school will not get you a job, you will just spend money.