questions about payment by credit card

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I am buying something from a website that I know them pretty well, they are quite sneaky and I understand that they have too many gimmicks and tricks to make the largest profit. They are notorious for that but since they sell something quite unique, which means they still have some customers.

Paying by credit card is the only option, and it will lead me to a VISA payment page that is quite automated. I'd like to know if they'll be able to get to know my full name and credit card number? Or if they could only get paid by the VISA service while they won't get to know my credit card details?

I am not sending my credit card information to them by message and let them manually charge me.

Use a virtual credit card number. Citi bank has an application to generate virtual credit card numbers and a few other banks such as Bank of America. It is easy to reverse a transaction with a virtual credit card number. The virtual credit card number expires when you want it to. You can also set a dollar limit.

USAFRet

Titan

They will need to know a credit card number that is associated to your credit card and your name.
A lot of cards have a Virtual Card number functionality. Generate a unique card number for that vendor.

Does yours have this?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
My credit card is a physical card issued by my bank, which has my name, expiry dates and card number.
Their payment system is an automated system, I enter my card details and then it will connect to the bank
and charge me. However, I want to know if the website could get to know my card number or if they could
only get payment.

I am not talking about fraud transactions. I am buying something from someone but I don't want him to have a record of my credit card details.

USAFRet

Titan

You enter your card details.
Yes....that's how it works. They need to know the actual card number, and probably the CCV on the back.
As well as name and expiration date.

That's how online credit cards work.
They need to know how to get their money.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Of course I need to enter correct credit card details for them to charge me. It's just basic logic.

But I want to know if only the bank / VISA / credit card company (third party) could know my
credit card and won't tell the merchant ???????

USAFRet

Titan

You're telling the merchant, in their website.
They ask the credit card company.
Credit card company gives money to the merchant.
Merchant gives you your stuff.

A non-crappy merchant does not keep that credit card info. They do the transaction, and delete it.
A crappy merchant....who knows.

Jun 7, 2018

I am not sure what kind of payment processing solution that website is using but most of the times merchants don't get access to full card numbers in case of e-comm transactions.

if you can specify what is the product and which country is the card from I may suggest more

Basically, the only way you get what you want in some useful capacity is either:

1. Using a payments processor, depending, like PayPal or AliPay. They pass along the money once the transaction is marked as satisfactory - and they hide your immediate credit card details from prying eyes. They themselves know, of course, but the merchant you deal with does not. I suspect Amazon does a similar thing.

2. Using a virtual card number. Yea, they'll know about it, but you can monitor it and once the transaction goes through shut it down so it's no good to them anymore.

What payment options do they offer? What site?
It seems to me if you have a worry regarding this, you may perhaps have larger concerns with the site that should be addressed first. Don't let "unique" rule the day - they know people are motivated by that, and if they are sketch, will happily pretend they have such a thing for precisely this purpose.

My advice, having been burned before, is when you get to asking these sort of questions - think very carefully about how much the enterprise is worth to you.