Questions About Putting New RAM Into a PC

Shongo

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Hello, my friend wants to add more RAM into his PC. He has AMD hardware and his computer is a prebuilt. He has DDR3 RAM and he doesn't know if he will need a specific brand of RAM for it to work in his PC (like some RAM won't work with AMD, I don't know if that is how things work). Also when I look up RAM for him it has the MHz number, does that matter too? (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8E8ZA6/ref=twister_B01N2UT24F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). Sorry if this post seems scattered and stupid we are both new and bad at this stuff and I couldn't think of better wording at times, thanks.

Link to the computer he bought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?

Solution
First off he's going to have to open his PC and see if he has RAM slots free, a lot of prebuilts can have limited expandability in that regard. Secondly if he's not replacing all his RAM and just wants to add another stick on top of what he has, it's best to get a stick with the same size, speed and timings as the old one, failure to do so can lead to system stability problems and/or poor performance. You can use a program like CPU-Z and check the memory tab to get that information if it isn't printed on a label on the existing RAM. If money allows, it may be best to just replace the existing RAM with matching sticks of whatever you choose to upgrade with, as that can eliminate compatibility problems that can sometimes show up between...
First off he's going to have to open his PC and see if he has RAM slots free, a lot of prebuilts can have limited expandability in that regard. Secondly if he's not replacing all his RAM and just wants to add another stick on top of what he has, it's best to get a stick with the same size, speed and timings as the old one, failure to do so can lead to system stability problems and/or poor performance. You can use a program like CPU-Z and check the memory tab to get that information if it isn't printed on a label on the existing RAM. If money allows, it may be best to just replace the existing RAM with matching sticks of whatever you choose to upgrade with, as that can eliminate compatibility problems that can sometimes show up between different sticks of RAM.

Solution