[SOLVED] Questions about Raid 0 with 2 HDD's and 1 SSD

nikolasferreira

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2013
Hi.

I currently have 3 storage units:

C:\\ (SSD - Windows)
D:\\ (Hard drive - Games and other stuff)
E:\\ (Hard drive - Nothing)

I've been searching and looking around the internet about the topic, but many questions have arised and really few answers.
First of all, let's start with what i have in mind, which is using my 2 hard drive in Raid 0 (both have 1tb of storage) but without messing with my ssd.

Questions:

1 - Can i make those 2 hard drives (D:\\ and E:\\) work in raid 0 without messing with my SSD data (C:\\)?
2 - Before i format Drive D:\\ for the raid 0, is there something else i should prepare?
3 - Is it better to format drive D:\\ and E:\\, but remove my ssd in the process of configurating raid 0 so i'm 100% sure that i cannot mess it up, or i really gotta have a storage unit with windows?
4 - When people say "if a storage unit in raid 0 fails, all data will be lost" only the data that's corrupted/damaged will be lost (like a file/photo) or everything on those storages?

Sorry for all those questions, but i really need to be 100% sure about everything i'm about to do to minimize the chances of messing everything up.

Last edited:
Solution
4 - When people say "if a storage unit in raid 0 fails, all data will be lost" only the data that's corrupted/damaged will be lost (like a file/photo) or everything on those storages?
Everything across all drives in the array.
Everything.

RAID 0 is NOT a good idea. There is very little actual benefit at the consumer level, less at the gamer level.

What are these specific HDD's?

USAFRet

Titan
Everything.

RAID 0 is NOT a good idea. There is very little actual benefit at the consumer level, less at the gamer level.

Solution
  1. yes this is possible, during RAID configuration you will be selecting which drives you want to "connect" together
  2. bios drive option change from AHCI to raid, windows may not boot if its missing drivers, u have to check that
  3. its not necesary
  4. if it fails, all data is lost, it can be recovered but it aint cheap at all...so backup is necesary

nikolasferreira

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2013
Everything.

Those are the hard drives:

ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
ST1000DM003-1ER162

Yeah i know people say there's some speed increase here and there, which is not what i'm looking for... I just want simplified storage management. 1TB goes really fast for basically anything, What i'm hoping for is just have an easy "2TB drive" that i don't have to manage it's content between those 2 storage units.

pq13BX0.png

Last edited:

nikolasferreira

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2013
Then raid is not for you my friend. Look into storage spaces.

Thank you. I stumbled upon some information about storage spaces after this post. Will keep looking for a solid tutorial, but it looks like it will be better than raid 0.

What do you use this system for?

Mostly gaming. Sometimes i use it to do university stuff too!

Last edited: