Wannieg

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Hello all.
So here's my situation, I have:
2x 120GB SSD (identical)
1x 500GB 5400RPM HDD
1x 149GB 7200RPM HDD

I don't use the 500GB drive for game, is my backup/junk drive.
I use one of the SSD for the OS and some software, and the other SSD and the 7200RPM HDD for games.
That means some games I can't play for lack of space (example RDR2).
My OS SSD usually have plenty of free space so I wanted to join it with my other SSD on RAID0 but I never done Raid so I have a few questions:

1 - I have an H110M-C motherboard, meaning no hardware raid support, but I see I can do trough software in Windows 10. That being the case, does this means I can not put my OS in the SSDs that are on Raid?
2 - Is doing through Win10 the best option or there's a better -- and free -- software I should use?
2 - Having the two SSD on Raid, can I still have my two other HDD as separate partition?
3 - Does it offer any extra risk for the drives? I'm aware that if one fails, I lose everything on them but since the files that matter are in the 500GB HDD (and cloud), that's fine. But I see this being repeated so much that makes me wonder if drives on RAID are more likely to fail?
4 - Any special care/tips I need to have for doing/using it?
5 - Any reason to not do that?

Solution
Okay, what if I put the OS on the 7200RPM HDD, can I have that, the 500GBHDD and RAID0 the two SSDs?
That is a useless configuration, for several reasons.
RAID 0 has little if any benefit for SSD's.
OS on an HDD when you have multiple SSD's in the system is a step backwards in performance.

Wannieg

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
That is a useless configuration, for several reasons.
RAID 0 has little if any benefit for SSD's.
OS on an HDD when you have multiple SSD's in the system is a step backwards in performance.
The benefit is to have 240GB of space in a single drive so I can play games that don't fit in any of my drives individually(specifically RDR2). I don't really care about boot time of my machine or how long it takes for an software to open so I don't really care about having my OS on SSD, I really don't think is that big of deal. Its nice but I would happily swap my SSD for a bigger capacity 7200RPM HDD, unfortunately money is tight.

So, can I do RAID 0 on the SSDs if I put my OS on the HDD and will all drives still be accessible? (Meaning the RAID0 SSDs, and the two individual HDD). Will the SSDs work as one every time I boot the machine automatically or will have to do some procedure every time?