[SOLVED] Questions about RAM compatibility

elegendx

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Hello.
I beginner and I want too much to learn and knowledge.

I will buy motherboard, cpu and RAM (4x8GB) 32GB or (4x16GB) 64GB .
I saw in ASUS website, the motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA is Dual Channel. Also, the website Intel, it mentions about Memory Specifications with Intel i7-10700K:

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type): 128 GB
Memory Types: DDR4-2933
Max # of Memory Channels: 2
Max Memory Bandwidth: 45.8 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported: No

I have got someone queries.
The motherboard is Dual Channel. If I install four sticks RAM on a motherboard, will I have some problem? In addition, if I install DDR4 RAM with frequency speed 2400MHz, will I have some problem on my system? Namely, will system work on it high or low?

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
why some people install four sticks ram? I look on the internet from web page or from youtube, someone has installed four sticks ram on the motherboard dual channel other two sticks ram. I ask, because I want to understand its philosophy or function or it helps somewhere.

I don't know, their personal reasons might be many for them guys.
Well, as far as I know...
  • Installing 4 sticks has some chance to get 1-4% more fps and faster processing in programs & apps. It's clear this wouldn't be quad channel, but has to do something with the ram rankings and I guess not all ram sticks would carry such a chance. Installing 2 sticks doesn't have any better chance for more FPS/faster processing, or let's call it just performance...
If I install four sticks RAM on a motherboard, will I have some problem?
Not really. Two is somewhat preferrable, but not too important at all. You 'll not have some problem, I guess you have an adequately cooled system and you don't care about a little bigger electricity bill.

is not a problem, it will work, despite being slower than 2933 MHz

try to stick to the officially announced ram support list, this eliminates the risk of situational incompatibility
(put ticks on all vendors, sizes, ram speeds, etc, this showing you all officially supported ram sticks)

Reactions: elegendx

elegendx

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Not really. Two is somewhat preferrable, but not too important at all. You 'll not have some problem, I guess you have an adequately cooled system and you don't care about a little bigger electricity bill.
Okay. But, why someone people install four sticks ram? I look on the internet from web page or from youtube, someones have installed four sticks ram on the motherboard dual channel other two sticks ram. I ask, because I want to understand its philosophy or function or it helps somewhere.

is not a problem, it will work, despite being slower than 2933 MHz
Okay. I understood.

try to stick to the officially announced ram support list, this eliminates the risk of situational incompatibility
(put ticks on all vendors, sizes, ram speeds, etc, this showing you all officially supported ram sticks)
Okay. I will look it.

why some people install four sticks ram? I look on the internet from web page or from youtube, someone has installed four sticks ram on the motherboard dual channel other two sticks ram. I ask, because I want to understand its philosophy or function or it helps somewhere.

• Installing 4 sticks has some chance to get 1-4% more fps and faster processing in programs & apps. It's clear this wouldn't be quad channel, but has to do something with the ram rankings and I guess not all ram sticks would carry such a chance. Installing 2 sticks doesn't have any better chance for more FPS/faster processing, or let's call it just performance.
  • More sticks = more energy wasting (electricity). Well, my bill didn't get much more expensive. Maybe 1-2 more dollars per month, maybe not even that much for the 8-12 hours usage per day.
  • More sticks = more heat onto the cpu along onto the rams in between them. The cpu controller 'd be pressured some more. Well, my one mb has 1-2 more degrees. Still 14-28 degrees Celsius idle/in low usage and even in the toughest benchmarks, gaming and processing hardly goes above 60. My cpu is just an i5-4690, though.
  • overclocking things might be more difficult if 4 sticks instead of two. Aside of more heat produced, it is easier to OC 1-2 sticks than 3-4. Well, I don't know details about it. I've never been keen on overclocking. This is more valid for the ram overclocking, while for the CPU it's just the temperature impact that may limit your OC (a bit).
These things are all kinda minor. It kinda depends on your cooling and your overclocking enthusiasm. I'd just take what is cheaper - 2x32, 4x16 or whatever, but this is s.th. you have to decide for yourself. Back in time I took 4x4 GB instead of 2x8, cus it was cheaper for me, easier to find same sticks and I already had a pretty good cooling for my cpu and my PC case, while also no planning to even try overclocking anything. If the price is same, prefer 2 sticks, like 2x32, 2x16 or what is your desired total quantity, while if it's different and 4x8/4x16 is cheaper, then you can go for it. At the same time if you take just 2 sticks, you would have the opportunity to take another 2 later on, in case you happen to need more ram.

Reactions: elegendx
Solution

elegendx

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
  • Installing 4 sticks has some chance to get 1-4% more fps and faster processing in programs & apps. It's clear this wouldn't be quad channel, but has to do something with the ram rankings and I guess not all ram sticks would carry such a chance. Installing 2 sticks doesn't have any better chance for more FPS/faster processing, or let's call it just performance.
  • More sticks = more energy wasting (electricity). Well, my bill didn't get much more expensive. Maybe 1-2 more dollars per month, maybe not even that much for the 8-12 hours usage per day.
  • More sticks = more heat onto the cpu along onto the rams in between them. The cpu controller 'd be pressured some more. Well, my one mb has 1-2 more degrees. Still 14-28 degrees Celsius idle/in low usage and even in the toughest benchmarks, gaming and processing hardly goes above 60. My cpu is just an i5-4690, though.
  • overclocking things might be more difficult if 4 sticks instead of two. Aside of more heat produced, it is easier to OC 1-2 sticks than 3-4. Well, I don't know details about it. I've never been keen on overclocking. This is more valid for the ram overclocking, while for the CPU it's just the temperature impact that may limit your OC (a bit).
These things are all kinda minor. It kinda depends on your cooling and your overclocking enthusiasm. I'd just take what is cheaper - 2x32, 4x16 or whatever, but this is s.th. you have to decide for yourself. Back in time I took 4x4 GB instead of 2x8, cus it was cheaper for me, easier to find same sticks and I already had a pretty good cooling for my cpu and my PC case, while also no planning to even try overclocking anything. If the price is same, prefer 2 sticks, like 2x32, 2x16 or what is your desired total quantity, while if it's different and 4x8/4x16 is cheaper, then you can go for it. At the same time if you take just 2 sticks, you would have the opportunity to take another 2 later on, in case you happen to need more ram.
Okay. Thank you very much.