questions about ram speed/compatibility etc

Rudigarcia222

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
hello guys first sorry for my english

Ive made my mind about my new non oc gaming build,i got
-i5 8400
-asus z 370p (the cheapest z370 by asus)
-ram G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
the rest are irrelevant i think but are an ssd Samsung/gtx 1060 6 gb /and tx 550w psu

i went to the store today to order it,the guy told me that there is potential incompatibility because the ram speed is bigger than the cpu needs,so it drops two speed down and that can mess the overall function,
before anything i got to say that i picked 3200 is because for odd reasons in my country the same 2666 model costs more than the 3200

now i got some questions

1)what he said is it true??

2)but isn't there an option to make through mobo the ram to run at 3200,which as a final outcome is better???

3)im not so much into the whole more fps thing/my tv and my monitor are 60hz,so that is my ceiling
so if i go to 2666 is it gonna make big gaming difference now or with heavy future games lets say like far cry 6

4)i picked this ram model cause its regarded as very good product,it costs around 180 euro in my country,as i said the same 2666 model costs 185 but again odd prices this model
Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4-2666MHz (CMU16GX4M2A2666C16B)
(only because its blue color the red is also 180plus)
costs 137,the cheapest 2x8 ddr4 2666,is it at least close quality item??

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You were told wrong, that RAM should work just fine at 3200 MHz with that CPU and motherboard. All you need to do is enable the XMP profile in the motherboard BIOS, and it will be running at 3200 MHz.

Edit: what's the exact model # of the 3200 MHz RAM?

1)no, your motherboard support memory overclocking. he pbbly meant those non oc capable board like the b360 or h310.
2)when you start your pc for the first time, enter uefi (bios) and turn on xmp, that will run the memory at the 3200 speed rating.
3)no, intel system are not that depended on memory speed, 2666 is not thatfar off from 3200, regardless 3200 should be faster given that the timings are proportional.
4)ram price has a lot of impact factor, original msrp, volume. as long as the memory company is reputable, usually it's fine, keep in mind, memory usually have very long warranties, so you don't need to worry.

ikaz

Distinguished
You will be fine actually RAM I believe is only "officially" rated at 2666 if you want to go higher you have to enable XMP in the BIOS, 3200 just means it was tested and should run at the speed. Also to be honest for intel based fast memory isn't as important you could get away with 2400 if the price is significantly cheaper.

WildCard999

Titan
With a no overclocking build there's no reason to get a Z370 motherboard unless there's a feature you require which isn't on a H310, B360 or H370 motherboard and will save you a bit of money. That being said with Intel the differences, at least in gaming, between speeds is very minimal, like 2-3 FPS at the most. If the difference between 2133 and 3200 is a $50 difference then it's not worth going with the faster RAM.

Rudigarcia222

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
thank you all guys
so its probably his mistake on z
and in a value for money point the corsair with even less speed is rpobably a better deal

i know i ve read that b360 and h370 are better for non oc but as i ve been told in the pastt

Z370 may have better power delivery- the cooling of the VRMs and other components on the motherboard itself might be better - it varies from product to product

this is why i picked the z model- isnt mobos that are designed for oc supposed to be more durable????

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
A Z370 series motherboard isn't necessarily any better quality (especially if you're getting one of the cheapest ones), the only thing guaranteed is that it has the feature set of the Z370 chipset. Unless you think you'll make use of some of those features, I wouldn't spend extra on a Z370 mobo just on the hopes it might last longer or something.

Rudigarcia222

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
no imnot gonna use those features,and i dont really care about led/colours or 4 usb instead of 3
what do you think about the basic asus models
Asus Prime H370-A or Asus Prime H370 Plus

(they both have 3 years warranty in my country when asrock msi gigabyte 2 and also their price is same)

this is my 3rd alternative
Asrock Fatal1ty H370 Performance /cant find any customer review

Asus basic motherboard are slightly over proced, I think the more budget friendly option are msi and asrock in the value department.

If you do lots of tuning via bios, it’s still wroth considering Asus as their bios is very resposive with my experience.