[SOLVED] Questions about replacing thermal paste on my GPU

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

Hello, I have a ZOTAC RTX 2070 Mini that I'm planning to replace the thermal compound on for better temps, and I have a few questions regarding this:

1. What is the best method to apply thermal paste to the GPU? Spread, dot, etc? I have Arctic MX-4 current edition.
  2. My GPU comes with thermal pads, and the GPU itself is brand new and I got it in December of last year, should I worry about replacing them or can I reuse them?
  3. How much paste should I apply on the die? For reference, this is how the ZOTAC 2070 Mini's PCB looks like:

UHpHAlK.jpg

(not my photo, taken from online)

Thanks in advance. Is there anything I should know before doing this? I never applied thermal paste on a GPU.

Solution
Dot method is best. Don't spread.

Don't replace the pads, they're reusable.

For a CPU, you use about the size of a grain of rice. For a GPU, half that much. You can screw the heatsink down to smush out the TIM, then remove it to check your sizing if you aren't sure.
Hello, I have a ZOTAC RTX 2070 Mini that I'm planning to replace the thermal compound on for better temps, and I have a few questions regarding this:

1. What is the best method to apply thermal paste to the GPU? Spread, dot, etc? I have Arctic MX-4 current edition.
  2. My GPU comes with thermal pads, and the GPU itself is brand new and I got it in December of last year, should I worry about replacing them or can I reuse them?
  3. How much paste should I apply on the die? For reference, this is how the ZOTAC 2070 Mini's PCB looks like:
UHpHAlK.jpg

(not my photo, taken from online)

Thanks in advance. Is there anything I should know before doing this? I never applied thermal paste on a GPU.
well, to be honest its not really worth it. but if you do want to switch the paste
first off, you can reuse the pads. they will be perfectly fine.
2nd, use a tiny line, because the die is rectangular, not square, but only a little amount.

D

Deleted member 2720853

well, to be honest its not really worth it. but if you do want to switch the paste
first off, you can reuse the pads. they will be perfectly fine.
2nd, use a tiny line, because the die is rectangular, not square, but only a little amount.

I realize it might not be worth it but I'd rather get the tiniest amount of decrease in temps out of this, I know Zotac doesn't exactly use the best thermal paste on their GPUs. Thanks for the answers

Dot method is best. Don't spread.

Don't replace the pads, they're reusable.

For a CPU, you use about the size of a grain of rice. For a GPU, half that much. You can screw the heatsink down to smush out the TIM, then remove it to check your sizing if you aren't sure.

Alright thanks.

D

Deleted member 2720853

To clarify, if you do the smush test, you'll need to remove the TIM and re-apply. Each time you remove a heatsink, you should apply new thermal paste. Otherwise you risk getting "air bubbles" between the contact surfaces.
Got it.

D

Deleted member 2720853

To clarify, if you do the smush test, you'll need to remove the TIM and re-apply. Each time you remove a heatsink, you should apply new thermal paste. Otherwise you risk getting "air bubbles" between the contact surfaces.

One of the thermal pads fell on my desk (which I cleaned beforehand) and I had to try and pick it up with my nails and put it back. Is it bad now? Should I get a replacement?