Question Questions about Ryzen 7 2700x Overclocking and Voltage (can't reach 4.2 with *Safe Voltages*)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
I just got my Ryzen 7 2700x and I have been trying to overlock it. (New to CPU OC)

I see that everyone is able to get 4.2 and 4.3 GHz under 1.45 volts/Auto Voltage
but when I try it just crashes.
iu even tried 4.2GHz on 1.5V I knew that it was a bit high. but it didn't want to complete a Cinebench 15 Run.
I was wondering why I can't get my CPU over 4.15Ghz at 1.48 Volts which is still pretty high.
if I try using Auto voltage it just soft locks after 1 second in any stress test.
Right now as of speaking my CPU is Running at 4.15Ghz at 1.48 Volts (Average Idle Temp: 45c) (Under load Recording and Gaming / Stress Tests Temp: 78c-85c )

Specs:

[PSU] - Corsair RM850x, 850W
[RAM] - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 16GB
[PCB] - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
[GPU] - RTX 2070 Msi Gaming Z
[CPU] - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

What is maxing temp?
What is maxing Voltage?
Does my motherboard supply my CPU with the amount I put in?
Will I destroy my CPU running 1.5 or under over time?
does it have anything to do with my Memory being Overclocked to 3266Mhz?

I know that R7 2700x prefers lower temps then high performance so I was wondering what temps R7 starts to drop voltage and Clock Ratio to get better Temps

It seems like I am the only one how cant find a stable Clock on 4.2 - 4.3Ghz But what do I know.
I am better at GPU overclocking then CPU O_0

Thanks for Reading <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: It been a while since I asked this question, but I would just like to say Thanks to everyone who have to gave suggestions!
The Problem was my Case, The 'corsair spec omega RGB'. the front does not give enough air for my '360mm AIO'. Luckily I was able to remove the Glass in front by unscrewing a few screws.
The thing is, I used auto voltage and because my AIO didn't get the air it needed, it ended up going way too high in temperature, resulting in auto voltage not giving my CPU more voltage.
After I unscrew the front-glass panel, I was able to get 42,25GHz, I was also able to reach 42,75 but unfortunately, windows crashed after 2 hours, same with 42,50.
I do think the reason I am not able to reach 43,00Ghz (With 1.51V) was that I didn't get a Fantastic Silicon lottery, or maybe because I needed to give it a bit more voltage? Idk.
I really don't want to give it: more than 1.51V, it's quite high already.

- Anyway, Thanks again for your help!.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018

i cannot set my CPU V on offset mode any higher then 0.5000V 1.000V is not possible

Just to be clear the Vcore (cpu voltage) on the ROG Strix X470-F motherboard is called VDDCR CPU Voltage. That you select Offset Mode. Then right under that you'll see VDDCR CPU Offset Mode Sign, that you set to negative "-". Directly under that you'll see VDDCR CPU Offset Voltage that you can set to 0.1000 to begin with and then through testing see how high you can take it. This will apply a negative offset so it will remove voltage from the processor, the higher the number the less voltage is supplied to the CPU. I was able to get my processor stable at a negative offset of 0.11875 which will keep my processor at 1.36V even when running Prime 95 torture testing. Every processor is different so you may find you need more or less voltage than mine. In my previous post I put the decimal point in the wrong spot, I will be updating it. A negative offset of 1.000V will definitely not work, I meant to say start with 0.1000V.

Rgmiket

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
MB: ROG Strix X470-f Gaming
RAM: 32 GB Hyperx Predator DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8)
GPU: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 (6gb mem)
PSU: Corsair TX 850M (850W 80 plus Gold)
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X and stock Prism Wraith cooler

So when on PBO I get phenomenal Speeds but Core V shows in Ryzen Master as 1.45 to 1.55...for short time I viewed before shutting system down. Temps were still under spec but were up there 75 to 84c and EDC (CPU) was like 1000% if I remember correctly and RED.

So I shutdown right away and started reading up on what I should do...I would like but don't always need that level of performance..and I am a noob at this whole OC thing...and read that i shouldn't even try...but if I turn everything off. I get stock 3.7...and would rather better than that.

So I was hoping someone could give me a method to get to a stable setting with PBO and let Ryzen do its thing..without burning down the house..lol

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

I now always ask people if they are running their RAM in dual channel and have the RAM in the proper slots (either 1,3 or 2,4 for their motherboard configuration) saying I have the same motherboard you do the RAM is supposed to be B2 and A2 (or from left to right slots 2 and 4). RAM has to be set in this fashion to properly run in the fastest dual channel mode possible.

Actually, ALL consumer dual channel motherboards should ONLY be populated in the A2 and B2 (DDR4_1(Or DDR3_1) or DDR4_2 (DDR3_2) for some boards) slots which are always the second and fourth DIMM slots over from the CPU socket. That is for EVERY dual channel consumer motherboard I have encountered for as long as modern high density chips have been in use, and likely prior to that as well although I have not bothered to verify that since I rarely see those platforms anymore so why bother. Every. One.

Using the A1 and B1 slots CAN work, sometimes, on SOME boards, but I've seen a awful LOT of systems where populating the memory in those slots caused a variety of problems including lack of dual channel, wrong speeds, failure to POST, XMP settings won't hold in the BIOS, and on and on.

Just wanted to clarify that so it was not mistakenly understood that putting them in either of those population scenarios was acceptable, because it's actually not, not in every case, and it's NEVER recommended for two stick population by any of the manufacturers that you use the A1 and B1 slots alone.

thepixie

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Not sure what speed you are running your memory at now, but have you looked at the CPU Package Power when you up the memory speed? Made a big difference to temps and O.C. I could reach. Found clocking down the memory made a fair difference.

By the sounds of it though you have probably already tried lower memory speeds and hitting your CPU's max clock right?

The idea on Ryzen is to get good boost or OC performance AND have higher memory clocks. Downclocking the memory speed is counterproductive except as a last resort for basic compatibility issues. You certainly wouldn't want to lower the clock speeds on your memory below the profile speed just to try and gain a higher CPU overclock unless it was a significant bump in peak clock speed on the CPU.

On Ryzen, that's unlikely, since there is very little overhead for overclocking to begin with.

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
I just got my Ryzen 7 2700x and I have been trying to overlock it. (New to CPU OC)

I see that everyone is able to get 4.2 and 4.3 GHz under 1.45 volts/Auto Voltage
but when I try it just crashes.
iu even tried 4.2GHz on 1.5V I knew that it was a bit high. but it didn't want to complete a Cinebench 15 Run.
I was wondering why I can't get my CPU over 4.15Ghz at 1.48 Volts which is still pretty high.
if I try using Auto voltage it just soft locks after 1 second in any stress test.
Right now as of speaking my CPU is Running at 4.15Ghz at 1.48 Volts (Average Idle Temp: 45c) (Under load Recording and Gaming / Stress Tests Temp: 78c-85c )

Specs:

[PSU] - Corsair RM850x, 850W
[RAM] - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 16GB
[PCB] - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
[GPU] - RTX 2070 Msi Gaming Z
[CPU] - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

What is maxing temp?
What is maxing Voltage?
Does my motherboard supply my CPU with the amount I put in?
Will I destroy my CPU running 1.5 or under over time?
does it have anything to do with my Memory being Overclocked to 3266Mhz?

I know that R7 2700x prefers lower temps then high performance so I was wondering what temps R7 starts to drop voltage and Clock Ratio to get better Temps

It seems like I am the only one how cant find a stable Clock on 4.2 - 4.3Ghz But what do I know.
I am better at GPU overclocking then CPU O_0

Thanks for Reading <3

UPDATE: It been a while since I asked this question, but I would just like to say Thanks to everyone who have to gave suggestions!
The Problem was my Case, The 'corsair spec omega RGB'. the front does not give enough air for my '360mm AIO'. Luckily I was able to remove the Glass in front by unscrewing a few screws.
The thing is, I used auto voltage and because my AIO didn't get the air it needed, it ended up going way too high in temperature, resulting in auto voltage not giving my CPU more voltage.
After I unscrew the front-glass panel, I was able to get 42,25GHz, I was also able to reach 42,75 but unfortunately, windows crashed after 2 hours, same with 42,50.
I do think the reason I am not able to reach 43,00Ghz (With 1.51V) was that I didn't get a Fantastic Silicon lottery, or maybe because I needed to give it a bit more voltage? Idk.