Questions about setting up a 10,000 rpm SATA hdd

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

1. When I order the following hard drive will I need to order any special
cable or accessories for the installation and setup?

2. Can I use this drive as my primary for OS, applications, etc., and add a
second hard drive such as a Western Digital 80gb 7200 rpm, 8mb cache, to
store files, backups etc?

3. I would definitely welcome any advice, tips, criticism or anything else
not covered in my already huge post.

My operating system is Windows XP Pro. I've listed the specs for the hard
drive and the other pertinent equipment I intend to use with this hard
drive.

HARD DRIVE
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard
Capacity: 74GB
Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: High Performance SATA Interface
Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years

PROCESSOR
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading
Technology - Retail
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG

MOTHERBOARD
ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processor (Prescott Ready)
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5R
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual Channel DDR400 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x UDMA 100 by ICH5R, 1x UDMA 133 by Promise 20378
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI, 1x ASUS Wi-Fi
Ports: 2xPS/2,2xCOM(Rear 1),1xLPT,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),2xIEEE1394(Rear
1),1xGAME,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: ALC850 8-CH
Onboard LAN: Marvell 88E8001 GbE
Onboard 1394: VT6307
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x SATA RAID 0/1 by ICH5R, 2x SATA RAID 0/1/0+1 by
Promise 20378
Form Factor: ATX

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> 1. When I order the following hard drive will I need to order any special
> cable or accessories for the installation and setup?

The sata cables should be supplied with the MB. I have the Asus p4c800-e
dlx which came equipped with the cables. I would assume the same about the
p4p
> 2. Can I use this drive as my primary for OS, applications, etc., and add
Yes, I have the 36gb version and that's what I'm doing.
> second hard drive such as a Western Digital 80gb 7200 rpm, 8mb cache, to
> store files, backups etc?
I don't see why not, but make sure you read your MB manual regarding raid
setup.