[SOLVED] Questions about setting up Raid 0 before windows install

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hi. I currently have Windows 10 installed on a single Sata SSD plus Raid 1 HDDs for backups.

I am replacing my 2x1 Tb raid 0 SSDs with 2x2 Tb NVME.

I already understand that to install windows to the NVME drives in Raid 0, I have to configure them in the bios under raid mode and load the raid driver from a USB disk.

However I need to know if setting up raid 0 via the bios to install Windows like this and changing the storage mode from ACHI to RAID would also wipe the data on my Raid 1 HDDs (I already have the 2x1 Tb drives backed up to it), as otherwise I won't want to do it.

... God and ignore my sig, I haven't used this site in ages. Updated Sig.

Last edited:
Solution
Intel doesn't give "refunds" for processors, and they don't "sell" processors to consumers. They sell to retail partners and OEMs. They do "warranty" those products to consumers.

Intel does not sell, ever, direct to consumers, so they wouldn't be giving you a "full refund". This whole thread smacks of spuriousness or at least some serious lack of understanding in the areas most relevant to it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000015037/programs.html

Maybe what you meant to say was that the retailer you bought it from was refunding it? Even that, would be HIGHLY suspect, because retailers generally do not offer refunds on installed processors and an RMA is usually a replacement of the component, while a...

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Obviously, or else you'd probably know that most members here would be all over the fact that SSD and NVME RAID will probably LOWER performance, rather than offer any gains.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

K nvm then, I'll keep windows on a single SSD. I actually do get much faster load times on my current Raid 0 SSDs than a single when tested with poorly optimized games that take ages to load and my NVME replacements will only be used for games.

USAFRet

Titan
K nvm then, I'll keep windows on a single SSD. I actually do get much faster load times on my current Raid 0 SSDs than a single when tested with poorly optimized games that take ages to load and my NVME replacements will only be used for games.
I'd be interested in the numbers behind this "much faster".

Poorly optimized has little or nothing to do with drive speed and how fast it loads.

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I'd be interested in the numbers behind this "much faster".

Poorly optimized has little or nothing to do with drive speed and how fast it loads.

Yup its a poorly optimised Indie game I'm currently playing called Kenshi. I was playing it on my main PC with Raid 0 Sata SSDs and loading speeds were barely adequate. Currently I'm in the process of RMAing my 8700K to Intel for a full refund and waiting for a replacement 9700K plus my NVME drives. I moved my 1080 Ti and 32 Gb ram into my spare backup PC with a G4560 and ran the same game off a single SSD and it takes more than double the time to load saves. On the steam forums for the game people with 32 Gb ram have tried installing it onto a 16 Gb ram drive and it then loads in a few seconds, however the game doesnt have an option to change the save folder so that makes using a ram drive pointles as I wont remember to manually back up my saves every time. Anyway main reason for raiding them is my 2 Tb of SSD space is already close to full and I was waiting for a long time for decent prices on 2 Tb NVME drives, albeit not wanting the slow Intel 660, and I found the 2tb Adata ones with same read and write speeds as Samsung 970s for £249, just slightly lower 4K and iops speeds. I simply require 4 Tb of SSD space now and wanted it on NVME as my motherboard has two PCI-E 4x M.2 slots.

I'm going to keep my single 128 Gb SSD I have for windows and use it between both computers as needed (only need to use my backup when repairing / upgrading my main though I have two Windows 10 keys that were free), and sell off my pair of 1 Tb SSDs, plus a 512 one and 512 Sata M.2 that I currently have for my main computer's boot drive. Also I had 2x4 Gb ram in my spare PC that was also useless for the said game and maybe others so thats going on my to sell list and I'm just going to move my 32 Gb, boot drive and GPU as needed when I need to rely on my backup rig. I did want to use it as a NAS, but my 2x6 Tb raid 1 HDDs already work for that plus an external 4 Tb one, so its mainly just for both diagnostics and back up use.

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You are not planning on retaining the OS on a SATA RAID when having an NVME drive..are you?

Its not on a Sata raid currently and no. I have it on a single 512 Gb sata M.2 currently, I'm going to sell that and all my other 512+ sata drives use my 128 Gb SSD for Windows instead, and maybe buy a second 128 later for both PCs if I can find one for around a tenner.

Intel doesn't give "refunds" for processors, and they don't "sell" processors to consumers. They sell to retail partners and OEMs. They do "warranty" those products to consumers.

Intel does not sell, ever, direct to consumers, so they wouldn't be giving you a "full refund". This whole thread smacks of spuriousness or at least some serious lack of understanding in the areas most relevant to it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000015037/programs.html

Maybe what you meant to say was that the retailer you bought it from was refunding it? Even that, would be HIGHLY suspect, because retailers generally do not offer refunds on installed processors and an RMA is usually a replacement of the component, while a refund is a monetary return of your investment.

Solution