Questions about smart plugs

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I am planning to buy a smart power strip controller by google/alexa with 4 outlets. I am planning to plug my computer, my monitor and my TV to it. My question is: is it safe to use the power strip to turn on and off my devices?
For example if I say "okay google turn off my pc" it turns off my pc but without a proper shut down and when I tell google to turn it on, it turns it on. And so on for my monitor and TV.

No, the data integrity could be corrupted without a proper shutdown.
You could use Alexa on the PC as well with a microphone and shut down the PC properly before powering off the strip

Turning it on won´t be an issue

Last edited:

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
No, the data integrity could be corrupted without a proper shutdown.
You could use Alexa on the PC as well with a microphone and shut down the PC properly before powering off the strip

Turning it on won´t be an issue
How do you use alexa on the PC? Is google possible also?

And also... If I use google to turn on the strip, would it turn on a properly switched off PC?

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17549366011#:~:text=Getting started is simple.&text=Download the Alexa app from,you are new to Alexa.

don´t know about google, search for google assistant for windows 10 online

To turn on a PC you have to set in BIOS that after a power out it will restart the PC automatically
https://www.wintips.org/setup-computer-to-auto-power-on-after-power-outage/
This is depending on your PC´s motherboard
Okay. Got you. Any opinion on using the smart plug to turn the TV on or off (TV stays on then smart plug cuts off power to turn off the TV then turns it on when I say so)?

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Which TV brand and model is it? Does the TV eventually support shutting down by voice?
It's a chinese brand, Skyworth. It's got a built in Chromecast and it's an Android TV runs on 8.0. Well it does support turning off using my assistant. It doesn't support turning on. I take it it's because the Chromecast is built in. And not via a dongle or external box. That was why I was looking for an alternative like a smart plug. To control power on and off instead.

Which Skyworth model is it? Should be written on a label on the back of the TV

check if HDMI CEC can be enabled in the TV´s menu
check if auto on feature can be enabled there too
check if network power on can be enabled