Question Questions about SSD’s

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Okay so I currently have a 1TB hard drive in my PC which I have windows installed on along with a few games and stuff of that sort. I would like to get an SSD to use mainly as my boot drive, but I’m not 100 percent sure how. In other words, how do I only transfer my operating system to that SSD from my HDD without transferring any of the other storage? And would doing so make my games load faster? Or would my games need to be stored in the SSD in order for that to happen?

You would need the games installed on the SSD to have faster load times.
Overall the boot times, system response, and program speed will be snappier on an SSD.

In terms of your setup, install the new SSD while leaving the HDD unplugged, boot up and do a clean install of windows, install any programs you may need, then power down and hook your HDD back up.

You can then point programs like steam to where the games are installed.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc
This is a common issue.

If the SSD is the same size as the HDD. Clone it.

If the SSD is smaller than the HD......

One way is to uninstall and delete whatever you need to on the hard drive to get it down below about 80% the size of the SSD and then clone it to the SSD.

Another way is to just do a clean Windows install on the SSD.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc

popatim

Titan
if your games use a Launcher App, such as Steam or Origin, then these can be moved back to the HDD easily enough.

And to clarify, the spae used on your HDD has to be small enought to fit onto about 80% of the SSD.
Ie - 300GB space used on the HDD Cloning onto a 500GB SSD is not an issue but 480GB used on the HDD would be. You always want to have 10-20% empty space on an SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so I currently have a 1TB hard drive in my PC which I have windows installed on along with a few games and stuff of that sort. I would like to get an SSD to use mainly as my boot drive, but I’m not 100 percent sure how. In other words, how do I only transfer my operating system to that SSD from my HDD without transferring any of the other storage? And would doing so make my games load faster? Or would my games need to be stored in the SSD in order for that to happen?
Consolidating the above...

You can't transfer "only the operating system" to the SSD.
And only that data that lives on the SSD will load faster.

What is your budget for this new SSD?
What OS?
What motherboard?