[SOLVED] Questions about SSD's TBW here that i can't find or understand online.

Jul 2, 2020
i actually googled about these questions.
but some are having a complex explanation. some doesn't even exist.
can you help me please?

1. what is the TBW of 120 GB v gen ssd?
  2. could TBW grow up itself sometime or will it just decrease?
  3. what will happen when i'm out of TBW?
  4. how many GB is a TBW?

Solution
1: This varies by manufacturer. Samsung typically has the highest. 120 is rather small these days and 240+ is recommended. Alot depends on what you will end up doing on the drive. Don't forget that you should leave 10-20% of the drive empty so it has room to do it's internal 'housekeeping'. (120gb is really 111GB then subtract 11-22GB leaves 90 to 100Gb of usable space)

2: Decreases. The more dense the cells (32 vs 64 vs 96 layers) and more 'packed' (SLC is 1 bit per cel, MLC is 2, TLC is3, QLC is 4) the lower the TLC is; its the nature of the technology.
3: depends on the manufacturer. Some drives stopped allowing writes (I believe these have been removed) but typically nothing happens.
4: 1024

TBW is TerraBytes Written and is...

popatim

Titan
1: This varies by manufacturer. Samsung typically has the highest. 120 is rather small these days and 240+ is recommended. Alot depends on what you will end up doing on the drive. Don't forget that you should leave 10-20% of the drive empty so it has room to do it's internal 'housekeeping'. (120gb is really 111GB then subtract 11-22GB leaves 90 to 100Gb of usable space)

2: Decreases. The more dense the cells (32 vs 64 vs 96 layers) and more 'packed' (SLC is 1 bit per cel, MLC is 2, TLC is3, QLC is 4) the lower the TLC is; its the nature of the technology.
3: depends on the manufacturer. Some drives stopped allowing writes (I believe these have been removed) but typically nothing happens.
4: 1024

TBW is TerraBytes Written and is for warranty purposes, exceed the TBW rating and your warranty will expire even if its before the time is up (3 or 5 year warranty for example)

Solution
TBW is specific to a certain model SSD....so it's not a fixed number.

I think these two definitions may help with your questions.

TBW (terabytes written) represents the total amount of data that can be written to a storage device in absolute terms.

“Terabytes Written” is the total amount of data that can be written into an SSD before it is likely to fail.

Essentially...the more TBW....the longer an SSD will likely last.

That's all it is.