Question Questions about the Fenvi FV-2030T

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Here is the link: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-fv-203...rd&cm_re=wifi_card-_-9SIADXZ81V9696-_-Product

My question wifi card: it states that I "must set router to 160Mhz". Does this mean that if I do not manually set my router to 160Mhz, this card won't connect to the 5Ghz channel? Does this card only recognize the 160Mhz channel when connecting to 5Ghz? My current modem doesn't even have 160Mhz has an option, it has 161Mhz though. Will 161Mhz be that much of a difference from 160Mhz? What are the differences between 160 and 161 Mhz?

Someone please answer me, I cannot use ethernet since my room is so far away and all of these wifi cards that I have bought so far say they support "ac" connection, or 5Ghz channels, but then it turns out that they only recognize some 5Ghz channels. So if this card can only connect to 5Ghz through the 160Mhz channel then I will not be buying this card. I would really like this card since it has an intel chipset which I am aware are the most stable wifi cards.

Like most devices it is compatible with other routers it will just run at slower speeds...ie using the ones your router supports.

Wifi channels are 20,40,80 mhz wide. The problem with using 160mhz is in most countries there is not enough radio bandwidth. In many countries there is a block 80mhz wide and a second one 90mhz wide. So even though 160mhz has been part of the standard it is rarely used. There are some proprietary implementations that can use 2 separate 80mhz blocks but this is not part of the standard. Now there is actually radio bandwidth allowed to be used by the governments that can get 160mhz blocks BUT there are restrictions like they must detect weather radar and stop using the blocks if they detect it. Most vendors did not want to deal with that mess especially since the restrictions vary a lot from country to country making it harder to make a common product.

The end effect is nobody can really use 160mhz. There is a new wifi standard that is support to be out later this year that seems to have better solutions to this problem. I have not spent the time to dig though all the massive technical documents. It will likely be a couple of years before it is widely supported on cell phones and other devices. Routers always lead the way but they have nothing really to talk to when they first come out.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Like most devices it is compatible with other routers it will just run at slower speeds...ie using the ones your router supports.

Wifi channels are 20,40,80 mhz wide. The problem with using 160mhz is in most countries there is not enough radio bandwidth. In many countries there is a block 80mhz wide and a second one 90mhz wide. So even though 160mhz has been part of the standard it is rarely used. There are some proprietary implementations that can use 2 separate 80mhz blocks but this is not part of the standard. Now there is actually radio bandwidth allowed to be used by the governments that can get 160mhz blocks BUT there are restrictions like they must detect weather radar and stop using the blocks if they detect it. Most vendors did not want to deal with that mess especially since the restrictions vary a lot from country to country making it harder to make a common product.

The end effect is nobody can really use 160mhz. There is a new wifi standard that is support to be out later this year that seems to have better solutions to this problem. I have not spent the time to dig though all the massive technical documents. It will likely be a couple of years before it is widely supported on cell phones and other devices. Routers always lead the way but they have nothing really to talk to when they first come out.
Hey so question, why does this Fenvi Wifi Card have a USB 2.0 Port and cable? It is a 4 pin connector plugging into it with a 9 pin connector at the end plugging into the USB 2.0 on the motherboard. Why does this card need the cable? Also, if I wiggle or push on the cord, will that snap the 2.0 pins? If I did damage the pins, will this Wifi card not work?

Looks like is it the method they get bluetooth on the card. If you are not going to use bluetooth then you do not even have to connect it. USB cables only really need 4 pins the ones on many motherboards is actually 2 USB ports in the same plug. If you are careful with it you will have no issues.

Good luck with this card, things that are directly shipped out of china tend to not have the best support.