Questions about the life Span of CPU

masa94

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Alright my 4670k is finally running stable 4.3ghz@ 1.240v
max temperature 82c under full load prime95...
1) TJ Max temp for Haswell (4670k) is 72c (Intel suggested that)
2) cpu voltage to keep @1.20v or below (suggested by some dudes on the forum)

i always thought the only way to kill the cpu is overheating like 90-100c then boom and dead..

so if i put 1.24v , does it kill the cpu slowly like constantly? such as it supposed to have 10 yrs life then it will be reduced to 2yrs only?

i already got a high end Air cooler, thats everything i can do, unfortunately i wont get a liquid cooler cuz thats a new thing for me and i still cant accept it yet.. i hope this PC could last for at least 4 years..

so if the temperature is only reaching 80c under 100% workload
is it safe if i gaming for only few hours everyday.. (the games i playe suck up the cpu usage 80-90%)

thankyou very very very much!

Solution
Going to 100c won't insta-kill it, that's around when it just auto shuts off to protect itself. Insta-kill temps are much higher but the shutoff temp is lower to prevent damage. Heating and cooling cycles hurt cpus much more than constant high heat. The larger the temp difference, the more damage. Both heat and voltage are something to worry about and the more heat and voltage, the less lifespan it would have. You seems to be asking if 1.24v is shortening it but really anything above stock is shorter than stock lifespan. 4 yrs is a short time, expect it to outlast it's usefulness. Cpus are probably the most reliable part and the other parts should fail before it. 73C is tcase not tjmax, 82c on prime is fine and you shouldn't be getting...
Ok... my rig is older... However I am running the same speed as you but my temps are lower under Gaming and full utilization (HandBrake) Max out around 60c.. So, I do not know what you are doing wrong but it will slowly kill the CPU. Heat does kill.

Check the airflow in your rig. Do you actually get good flow? Pick a directional back to front and bottom to top (what I use) or front to back and bottom to top. If there is a conflict is air flow, it will cause turbulance and change the effectiveness of the airflow.

masa94

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
you cant take SandyBridge compare to Haswell, different things
my 4.3ghz run faster than your 4.6ghz
but your cpu (any intel sandybridge series) run much lower temperature than our generation
and the voltage usage for our cpu is different as well

Going to 100c won't insta-kill it, that's around when it just auto shuts off to protect itself. Insta-kill temps are much higher but the shutoff temp is lower to prevent damage. Heating and cooling cycles hurt cpus much more than constant high heat. The larger the temp difference, the more damage. Both heat and voltage are something to worry about and the more heat and voltage, the less lifespan it would have. You seems to be asking if 1.24v is shortening it but really anything above stock is shorter than stock lifespan. 4 yrs is a short time, expect it to outlast it's usefulness. Cpus are probably the most reliable part and the other parts should fail before it. 73C is tcase not tjmax, 82c on prime is fine and you shouldn't be getting that hot in normal circumstances. 100% workload in prime is not the same as if a game got to 100%. Prime is more stressful. Also most guides say 1.3v max.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS