Question Questions about this wifi card I bought.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I have an m.2 to PCIe adapter(I will link the card at the bottom) which has a built in AC 9260. My brother has an older Intel wifi card: the AC 3165. Even though we are the same distance from the router(20-23 feet) he will have a constant 9 ping while my ping goes from 30-200. So my questions are: does a m.2 to PCIe adapter weaken a wifi card's range and power if it was meant to be in the m.2 slot? Does the AC 3165 just have better range than the AC 9260?
Link to my card: https://www.amazon.com/Fenvi-Wireless-AC-2030Mbps-802-11ac-MU-MIMO/dp/B07DMDZ888

Ralston18

Titan
Not understanding the "fit".

Update your post with full hardware specs and OS.

The link you provided is for a PCIe wireless adapter.

Do you have a link for the m.2 to PCIe adapter you are using?

In the meantime: are you able to move your computer to your brother's room/area? And vice versa?

Determine if the ping issues follow the computer or stay with the location.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Not understanding the "fit".

Update your post with full hardware specs and OS.

The link you provided is for a PCIe wireless adapter.

Do you have a link for the m.2 to PCIe adapter you are using?

In the meantime: are you able to move your computer to your brother's room/area? And vice versa?

Determine if the ping issues follow the computer or stay with the location.
The wifi card I have is an m.2 to PCIe adapter. Fenvi is taking the intel card which is m.2 and allowing it to work in the PCIe slot.

I concede that there may be an M.2, A-E-Key card under that heatsink but, from the consumer perspective, you just have a PCIe WiFi adapter, and the AC 9260 is a VERY capable chipset for the purpose.

Your issue may be down to location and interference. As mentioned earlier, try switching places with the computers and see if the high pings follow the machine, or remain with the location.

If they follow the machine, you definitely want to confirm your driver status, and you may ultimately find that you will have to RMA the card for exchange.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I concede that there may be an M.2, A-E-Key card under that heatsink but, from the consumer perspective, you just have a PCIe WiFi adapter, and the AC 9260 is a VERY capable chipset for the purpose.

Your issue may be down to location and interference. As mentioned earlier, try switching places with the computers and see if the high pings follow the machine, or remain with the location.

If they follow the machine, you definitely want to confirm your driver status, and you may ultimately find that you will have to RMA the card for exchange.
Dude, it says here on the back of the Fenvi card "PCIe x1". Do PCIe x4 adapters have a stronger connection or something?

Your are worrying about the wrong end of your card.

The speed of the transfer on the pci bus does not cause ping delays. The problem is in the wifi radio chips. If the data is damaged in transit between the router and your card it is retransmitted until a clear copy is obtained. This retransmission takes time and causes the delays.

Even the slowest PCI port can exceed the bandwidth of any wifi network card.

Do PCIe x4 adapters have a stronger connection or something?
Nope. The PCIe bus is on the "move data back and forth between the computer and the WiFi radio" side of the equation. Even if you used a PCIex16 interface, it would make no difference to the 1.73Gb/S radio data rate.

The side that you are concerned about has everything to do with the radio input/output pathways and antennas. Where things usually go wrong is between the router antennas and the adapter antennas.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Nope. The PCIe bus is on the "move data back and forth between the computer and the WiFi radio" side of the equation. Even if you used a PCIex16 interface, it would make no difference to the 1.73Gb/S radio data rate.

The side that you are concerned about has everything to do with the radio input/output pathways and antennas. Where things usually go wrong is between the router antennas and the adapter antennas.
Question about that then. My brother and I are in the same room. We are both the same distance from the router but I am on the left he is on the right. I spike while his connection is fine. There are 2 router antennas pointing at me while one is pointing to him. Does the 3165 have stronger range than the 9260?

Nope.
The 3165 is actually older tech than the 9260, and rated at lower throughput than the 9260 (433Mb/S vs 1.73Gb/S). Antenna design of the adapter, and location, will be the controlling factors in your situation.

I just noticed that Amazon pulled the listing on your adapter, since yesterday, stating that there may be issues with that product. It may be that they have identified a manufacturer's defect that affects their entire inventory of that item; and Amazon doesn't do this kind of thing all that often.

You might be looking at a situation where a return and exchange is your best course of action.

Reactions: Yoiji

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Nope.
The 3165 is actually older tech than the 9260, and rated at lower throughput than the 9260 (433Mb/S vs 1.73Gb/S). Antenna design of the adapter, and location, will be the controlling factors in your situation.

I just noticed that Amazon pulled the listing on your adapter, since yesterday, stating that there may be issues with that product. It may be that they have identified a manufacturer's defect that affects their entire inventory of that item; and Amazon doesn't do this kind of thing all that often.

You might be looking at a situation where a return and exchange is your best course of action.
This is great news! Thank you so much! Do you have a good Wifi adapter that uses an Intel chip? I prefer intel wifi chips because finding the drivers for intel is much easier than Qualcomm and Broadcom. However, intel chips are usually only for laptops without the adapter so if you have a suggestion for a good adapter that has an intel wifi chip that can be used for a desktop that would be great.

Last edited:
Well, looking at the results of a quick search on AMZ, I can hypothesize that you could buy this PCIe adapter card:
https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B07PY95S6F ($22.99)
and remove the AC 7260 NGW module.

You can then install this Intel Wireless-AC 9260 module:
https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B079QJQF4Y ($16.98)
onto the adapter card, and be in the same situation, in terms of drivers and performance.

And the total price ($39.97) will be less than what you paid for what you have now.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Well, looking at the results of a quick search on AMZ, I can hypothesize that you could buy this PCIe adapter card:
https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B07PY95S6F ($22.99)
and remove the AC 7260 NGW module.

You can then install this Intel Wireless-AC 9260 module:
https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B079QJQF4Y ($16.98)
onto the adapter card, and be in the same situation, in terms of drivers and performance.

And the total price ($39.97) will be less than what you paid for what you have now.
What about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Ziyituod-AC1...EEZK36Q3RMV&psc=1&refRID=2NNVB8A66EEZK36Q3RMV