Question Questions about Thunderbolt 3 on the ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Hello,

A friend of mine is looking to build a new gaming PC, and they have an LG Ultrafine 5K monitor for their Macbook. We were trying to find a way to make it work with a Windows PC, and it seems like using an Asus Thunderbolt card is the only way.

They were looking to use a Ryzen 5 3600 in the build (or whatever Ryzen CPU that won't bottleneck RTX 3000) and it looks like the cheapest AM4 motherboard I could find that had the Asus Thunderbolt header was the TUF Gaming B550-Plus.

So would it work to have the TUF Gaming B550 board with the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 card, connect the GPU to the Mini Displayport on the card, and then connect the Thunderbolt 3 cable to the LG Ultrafine? I was a bit unsure about this, since Thunderbolt is an Intel thing so I didn't know if it worked differently on an AMD platform, or any other potential issues.

Thanks.

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
also read the part that the dp is for input not output to a monitor.

why don't you get a gpu?
Oh the PC is going to have a GPU, we were just trying to connect it to the LG monitor, which only has Thunderbolt inputs. Therefore, we needed the Thunderbolt card to pass through the display signal in the form of Thunderbolt 3. We weren't trying to use the Thunderbolt card solely as a display adapter. The ThunderboltEX 3-TR is pretty expensive so we'll probably just get a normal PC monitor instead and go with a cheaper motherboard.

Sep 2, 2020
I'm looking to go down the exact same route with the B550 and 3-TR in order to get compatibility with the LG UltraFine 5K. Please post an update if you end up trying it out — it would be very helpful, thanks!

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I'm looking to go down the exact same route with the B550 and 3-TR in order to get compatibility with the LG UltraFine 5K. Please post an update if you end up trying it out — it would be very helpful, thanks!
Unfortunately due to cost and simplicity we're just getting a standard 4K monitor, so sorry we won't be able to provide any information this time. Good luck though, it looks like rgd1101 has good information.