Questions about Upgrading CPUs

Kazaki69

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hey TH guys,

Im currently in the process of upgrading an HP Pavilion DV5000 running Windows XP with a AMD turion ML37 2.0ghz Proc. Im wondering what is the fastest CPU i can put into it? Ive been looking around and I'm getting mixed signals as to which one is the best for the socket. Some posts I read say you can put an AMD 64 4000+ 2.6Ghz Newark into it and itll work, others say the fastest is a AMD 64 3700+ Clawhammer. I'm honestly unsure between either one.At first I was contemplating an AMD Turion ML-44 2.4Ghz as it seemed more of a logical jump by keeping the turion genes flowing, but at this point I'm thinking if I'm going to upgrade it I might as well upgrade it to the best processor that is available to the socket rather than just keeping the Turion labeling consistent.

Its going to be my workhorse and Game laptop for as long as I can manage it. The current Turion processor is pretty slow and flip flopping like crazy with its outputs for some reason, so an upgrade to the processor would be great. I am also contemplating putting better ram in it but thats a different matter for a different day.

Any thoughts?

~Kaz

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Speaking in terms of gaming...
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you will be money ahead and wise to wait till notebooks/laptops are released (probably in May) with the Trinity line of AMD APUs. They should provide true gaming capability in an inexpensive laptop package... tremendously better than anything you could do with the system you presently have. Add to that the fact that the APU's graphics processor can be paired with a 2nd graphics processor for Crossfire capability... and still be sold at bargain basement prices.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Record-Number-of-AMD-Trinity-Laptops-On-the-Way-265554.shtml?utm_source=ForumSoftpedia&utm_medium=ForumSoftpedia&utm_campaign=ForumSoftpedia

Or you could continue to poor money into what you have now.

Kazaki69

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Well that's great and all but unless they're releasing at around $200 a machine, I'll pass on that. What I'm doing is hybridizing two DV5Ks. The one died on me sometime back and I bought this one for $100 knowing i could hybrid the two and come out with a laptop to use for my college work and mild gaming needs to be entertained by while in my off hours. I've been able to play and successfully run Half-life 2 generation on this setup in the past, so what i have to play will work on it.I have a desktop to handle heavy gaming. Currently the processor in this one is fluxing between 1.99ghz and anywhere between 200-420Mhz, which is honestly bizarre. I'm building off what I have, not whats just coming out and I'm just looking to upgrade its processor as it is the main flaw currently as far as I see it.

So I guess a better question here is: If a Motherboard supports Mobile Socket 754, and you find a mobile 754 processor. will they work together outright, regardless of the processor?

I'm not out to shell out more than I have to and I already have this one half-way refinished, I just need a more efficient processor as this one is apparently going loopy.

Thanks
~Kaz

As i see it, A mobile matching socket should work with a mobile matching socket regardless of specifics. However in my experience there has always been some Technical tidbit that says for whatever reason:"NOO they cant meh blahtity blha da"... so thats the big question Im wondering at the moment.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
the processor's frequency is changing to save power when idle. id be pretty afraid of lack of bios support for a different mobile processor on the board, increased heat with a lack of cooling, et cetera.

-i did a little digging and found this
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00700959.pdf
top available processor for that line was a 2.2 ghz, probably wouldnt be worth it for 200 mhz although hey, who am i to judge?!
if you do try it and get it working itd be cool to hear about though!

Kazaki69

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah but its doing it while doing other things, thats the issue. Its not doing it when idling. Trying to load or do things makes it shuffle even more, and for the most part when idling It doesnt drop below 1.99.. but when trying to do things thats when it really starts to drop which makes it so weird.

Thats a good point. The only difference between them is their TDP. The Current processor's is 35 Watt as is the ML-44, the 4000 and the 3700 are 62 watt each. I'm guessing thats a negatory on the better processors then?

Kazaki69

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
@ Osamabinrobot

I'm not sure, I'd have to check on that. As for bios I cant change a damn thing in it aside from the time/date and the passwords for security. Its one of those limited access bios systems. Phoenix sucks.. ha

@abeki

Eh, oh well at least the 44 will work.. sad to say i cant run the 4k.. sounds like a beast. haha

TRENDING THREADS