[SOLVED] Questions about upgrading motherboard

Sep 8, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm considering an upgrade of my 4 years old Asus H110M-E (Intel Core i5 6400) motherboard to newer AMD B550 motherboard (Planning to put unreleased Ryzen 7 5800x). But I have several questions I want to ask,

1. I heard that if you replace the motherboard, all your software's license will just be invalid ? I have most of the stuff or old games that have DRM like activation per PC or serial number game (but all those game were bought in Steam). I even afraid that I had to buy another Windows 10 license again (I already activated with Microsoft account).

Now, if I change the motherboard and the processor, will it affect Windows or any other software inside the storage ?

2. I also planning to buy RTX 3060Ti (which still unreleased), but I currently have Thermaltake TR2 450W PSU. Is it gonna be okay with it or I should change the PSU as well. If I need to change the PSU, is Corsair CX550M enough ?
(My planned specs are these : Ryzen 7 5800x | RTX3060Ti | 32GB DDR4 | Asus B550M-A Prime)

3. I'm currently own 16GB DDR4 ram sticks, so if I buy another 32GB DDR4 sticks (16x2), will it run fine ? Both will probably same brand (Corsair Vengeance 2666)

4. How much my old PC is worth to sell it all (except HDD and case) second hand ? All of them are 4 years old, except the PSU (PSU was 2 years old)
Old PC Specs : Asus H110M-E M.2 | Intel Core i5 6400 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance | Thermaltake TR2 450W

That's all I have to question,
Thanks for the answers and have a good day !

Solution
No, you won't have to buy another Windows license, but you won't be able to use your current license with your existing system either if you choose to move that license to the new system. So long as you understand that, then your license will automatically move to the new system as soon as you log in using a Microsoft account during the installation, once it connects to the internet. NO worries there.

Yes, you WILL need a new power supply, and in fact, even if you didn't upgrade you would want to get rid of that one as soon as possible because it's a terrible example of a power supply model. Just hearing the name "TR2" can send shivers down the arms of experienced builders. And that's only a slight exaggeration. It really is not...
No, you won't have to buy another Windows license, but you won't be able to use your current license with your existing system either if you choose to move that license to the new system. So long as you understand that, then your license will automatically move to the new system as soon as you log in using a Microsoft account during the installation, once it connects to the internet. NO worries there.

Yes, you WILL need a new power supply, and in fact, even if you didn't upgrade you would want to get rid of that one as soon as possible because it's a terrible example of a power supply model. Just hearing the name "TR2" can send shivers down the arms of experienced builders. And that's only a slight exaggeration. It really is not a very good unit. The newer TR2 models are a little better than the old ones, but not by much.

I would really not recommend a CX550m for a new build. If you're going to buy a new power supply, I'd try to stick to something from the newer, but not modular, 2017 CX non-m models, or the 2017 CXM v2 units, which are somewhat better than the older 2015 CXm models, if you are going to stick to budget offerings, or the Seasonic Focus or Focus plus series units. Something in a 550-650w unit is probably appropriate but if you're going with an unreleased graphics card it is IMPORTANT to wait on buying a PSU until we have concrete information on what capacity is required for that unit.

You will want to replace your memory as well, because your old 2666mhz memory is not fast enough to provide optimal performance from the platform you intend to upgrade to. It's just too slow. You'll be leaving a lot of performance on the table. I mean, you CAN use it, but I would highly recommend either a 3200mhz CL14 kit, or a 3600mhz CL16 kit, in whatever capacity (16GB, 32GB, etc.) that you want to run.

As to the value of your current system, I won't venture a guess because really it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Myself, I wouldn't pay anything for it because it is simply too old. Somebody with even older hardware might be willing to pay 400-500 dollars for it, but that number is subjective to what somebody can afford, where they live, what they are WILLING to pay for USED hardware and other factors like the condition of the hardware and whether or not the OS and storage devices would be going with it or not.

Last edited:
Solution