[SOLVED] Questions about upgrading RAM..

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
My specs:

Z170x mb dual channel support..
I7-7700k
GTX 1080
2x8GB vengeance lpx cl15 3000mhz
1080p monitor(main)
1440p monitor(backup)

Questions:

Is 16GB enough or should i add 2x8GB more(32GB total) ? I will be doing a lot of multitasking...lots of chrome tabs and some gaming too..

Is 3000mhz fast enough or should i get rid of my 2x8GB and buy 4x8GB top speed RAM sticks(3600mhz - 4000mhz) ?

Last edited:
Solution
Performance wise, which option is better ?
Whichever runs your system the most stable.

3466 vs 3600 is single digit percentage change, at best.
In a blind test between two identical systems, you would not be able to tell the difference.

2x8 + 2x8 is not as good as 2x16.
RAM is only guaranteed to work when sold as a set.

Mixing 2 different "sets", even from the same manufacturer, may indeed fail.
Your CPU generation is from about 5 years ago....circa 2017.

4 x 8gb of 3600 speed RAM is likely to cost $170 on up.

I'd be reluctant to spend that much on RAM if I were considering a motherboard and CPU upgrade in the relatively near future. You might want DDR5 within a year?

Or are you locked into your CPU for the next several years?

Or are you indifferent to cost?

Is there a better place to spend $170 plus on your PC, perhaps on something that could be carried over to a new PC if you were to change motherboard and CPU?

My specs:

I7-7700k
GTX 1080
2x8GB vengeance lpx cl15 3000mhz
1080p monitor(main)
1440p monitor(backup)

Questions:

Is 16GB enough or should i add 2x8GB more(32GB total) ? I will be doing a lot of multitasking...lots of chrome tabs and some gaming too..

Is 3000mhz fast enough or should i get rid of my 2x8GB and buy 4x8GB top speed RAM sticks(3600mhz - 4000mhz) ?
What is your ram usage when you run your stuff with the 16GB you have?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Ok, I have figured and decided to upgrade to 32GB...

Should i repurchase the exact same kit that i have or should i buy:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16gb 3600mhz cl18

Obviously the 2x16gb performs better but i am concerned that if i run it at 3600mhz it will require more voltage and the CPU will generate more heat which affects CPU overclocking....

I guess a workaround is to underclock the RAM when overclocking the CPU ?

Everything considered, should i repurchase the exact same 2x8gb kit or buy the 2x16gb kit and sell the 2x8gb kit that i currently have?

Everything considered, should i repurchase the exact same 2x8gb kit or buy the 2x16gb kit and sell the 2x8gb kit that i currently have?

Either way could work perfectly.

A repurchase of "the exact same 2x8 kit" carries some risk because it may well be not as exact as you think.

The second kit might be recognized but not operate at hoped for speeds.

Just a matter of your budget, how lucky you are feeling, and your likely reaction to disappointment. Shrug your shoulders or put your fist through a wall?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
My mother board supports up to 3466mhz(O.C.)...you are saying i might get lucky and be able to run it at 3600mhz ?

Also, can you explain the risks involved in getting the exact same 2x8gb kit ? I bought the first kit in 2014...

Also, can i OC my 2x8gb + 2x8gb kits to 3466mhz ?

Last edited:
I have no idea about your last question.

You can check that voltages, speeds, and all the specifications appear to match....but the new RAM still may not be an exact match. You don't know what components the manufacturer is changing that are not mentioned in whatever specifications you checked. The new RAM may work perfectly or not. You can't know the answer without actually trying it. Pretty good chance all 32 would be "available" if you have matched the specs as much as possible, but less of a chance they would meet your speed and overclocking hopes.

Take your chances or not, depending on your personal nature. If the new 2 x 8 kit doesn't work as hoped, then what?

Stand in line for a half hour at the post office to return the new RAM? Drive 10 miles across town to return it? Get in a beef with the vendor who doesn't want to accept your return? Curse yourself for the next week for being such a fool?

Make up your own list of possible outcomes and your reaction if a second 2 x 8 kit doesn't work well. Compare that disappointment to the advantage of not having to buy 32 new and selling 16 old.

Make a decision in the next 10 seconds or agonize over it for a week?

USAFRet

Titan
Whichever runs your system the most stable.

3466 vs 3600 is single digit percentage change, at best.
In a blind test between two identical systems, you would not be able to tell the difference.

2x8 + 2x8 is not as good as 2x16.
RAM is only guaranteed to work when sold as a set.

Mixing 2 different "sets", even from the same manufacturer, may indeed fail.

Solution

No way in the world to know that without trying all options. Crystal ball time. Not likely you are going to do that.

It's better to ask the dealer for another card at the 21 table if you hold 18 and the next card is a 3. Does that help?

You're an enthusiast type or you wouldn't even be considering this.

Experimentation, trial and error, disappointment, and wasted money are all part of that. You're on that train or not.

You might consider whether or not you've accurately judged the advantage of moving from 16 to 32 at all. But that would just lead to more "what if I'm wrong" stuff.