Questions about upgrading rig for "Let's Play" videos

dozerr

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Hello all,

I bought my pc 7-8 months ago and originally just wanted to casually play first person shooters and similar games but since then i've got the urge to make Let's Play commentary videos for youtube. I've been trying to figure out what I need to upgrade and what I can keep using. The two main games i'll be trying to commentate on will be DayZ standalone and Arma 3. Now I know both games aren't optimized that well so even with a god-tier pc i'd probably only get mediocre performance. This is my current set up

CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: 2x MSI GTX 660TI PE/OC SLI
MOBO: MSI z77A-G45
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
SSD: Samsung 840 evo 500GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB
RAM: 8GB (dont remember name)

I havent tried overclocking the cpu or gpu.

My question is this, since arma 3 and dayz are cpu intensive would I benefit from upgrading to a i7 4770k ? The main reason I want to upgrade is because I get about 20-30 fps while recording in cities in dayz but I have everything turned down, and while thats ok with me, I want to be able to make the game look halfway decent for my viewers. One last thing, I've been debating on getting rid of the SLI setup in favor of a 780 or 780ti, because i've always heard of the 192 memory bus crippling the 660ti . Would I notice a difference if I got the 780 or 780ti? sorry for the long post.

TL;DR Will upgrading to 4770k improve fps in dayz SA while recording. Will upgrading to 780 or 780ti be a noticeable upgrade from SLI 660ti?

Whammy

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Go for the 780Ti, that's really all that will help in that build. A 660Ti is already not that strong as a single card, although some would argue it's "fine" for them on medium settings, and adding a second GPU doesn't give you twice the performance, its more around 60-80% more. That's why most would recommend the single better card over 2 mediocre cards. Also, you won't benefit from a 4770k because all i offers more really is hyper-threading, effectively "doubling" the amount of cores a 3770k has, but modern games can't take advantage of more cores.

TRENDING THREADS