[SOLVED] Questions about Upgrading

Jun 7, 2020
So I have a HP Compaq 4000 Pro Small Form and I'm looking to upgrade. It's pretty slow and I need something that runs faster. The problem is that I'm on a very tight budget, so I'm going to have to do it one piece at a time. I have already upgraded the hard drive and now I'm wondering if I should upgrade the CPU first or the motherboard first?

Solution
I understand that I'm going to have to wait until I get all the prefers in order to use them, which is fine, I just wan wasn't sure which one should come first. Kind of like a chicken or the egg, ha ha.
Really doesn’t matter honestly. If you’re not putting them in your system now, then you could get either. Just keep in mind that if you receive a DOA that you might not be able to send it back if you wait to get the other in. Many require this to happen within 30 days. Just that alone, I’d probably suggest putting the money to the side and when you have enough buy both at same time.

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
So I have a HP Compaq 4000 Pro Small Form and I'm looking to upgrade. It's pretty slow and I need something that runs faster. The problem is that I'm on a very tight budget, so I'm going to have to do it one piece at a time. I have already upgraded the hard drive and now I'm wondering if I should upgrade the CPU first or the motherboard first?
So, when upgrading a CPU and Motherboard, you should do them at the same time. The motherboard you get depends on the CPU. But it’s a waste of money to upgrade the CPU without a Motherboard as the MoBo sockets are different. Meaning your CPU would be restricted to your current MoBo instead of the other way around. For example, you can’t place an i7 10 series on a 9 series board. Same goes for AMD CPUs.

Jun 7, 2020
So, when upgrading a CPU and Motherboard, you should do them at the same time. The motherboard you get depends on the CPU. But it’s a waste of money to upgrade the CPU without a Motherboard as the MoBo sockets are different. Meaning your CPU would be restricted to your current MoBo instead of the other way around. For example, you can’t place an i7 10 series on a 9 series board. Same goes for AMD CPUs.

I understand that I'm going to have to wait until I get all the prefers in order to use them, which is fine, I just wan wasn't sure which one should come first. Kind of like a chicken or the egg, ha ha.

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
Really doesn’t matter honestly. If you’re not putting them in your system now, then you could get either. Just keep in mind that if you receive a DOA that you might not be able to send it back if you wait to get the other in. Many require this to happen within 30 days. Just that alone, I’d probably suggest putting the money to the side and when you have enough buy both at same time.

Solution