[SOLVED] Questions about upgraing my system

Auchhior

Commendable
Oct 12, 2020
Hello, I was looking at buying the i9-10850K from Microcenter(at $300) and wanted recommendations on a good board to go with it, ideally priced at or under $250.

Right now, my build has an i7-9700K, an Asus Prime Z390-P, a Hyper 212 Evo, a Gigabyte 1080 Windforce, and a 600W 80+ Bronze PSU. I'm planning to run the new system stock and wonder if swapping out my CPU+Motherboard would mean that I also need to swap out the CPU Cooler and PSU? My usage is mainly gaming and schoolwork, with very light video editing intermittently.

I also wanted to know if this was a good value. I was planning on using the PC long-term for 5-6 years and a friend told me the 10850K was a good value at the discounted price.

Solution
My usage is mainly gaming and schoolwork, with very light video editing intermittently.
the 10 core i9-10850K may be quite a bit of overkill for your limited usage scenario.

you may be much better off going for the 10700K, i5-11600K, or i5-11400F.
recommendations on a good board to go with it
if going for 11th gen, definitely would be getting a Z590 board.
if 10th gen, maybe a Z490, but i'd still much rather have a Z590.

comparing the two systems, before & after upgrade, i doubt you'd see a huge improvement over your current setup.
it will be noticeable in certain scenarios but while gaming there won't be much of an increase in performance until also upgrading the GPU.
wonder if swapping out my CPU+Motherboard would mean...
My usage is mainly gaming and schoolwork, with very light video editing intermittently.
the 10 core i9-10850K may be quite a bit of overkill for your limited usage scenario.

recommendations on a good board to go with it

comparing the two systems, before & after upgrade, i doubt you'd see a huge improvement over your current setup.
it will be noticeable in certain scenarios but while gaming there won't be much of an increase in performance until also upgrading the GPU.
wonder if swapping out my CPU+Motherboard would mean that I also need to swap out the CPU Cooler and PSU?
the CM Hyper 212 Evo is still a decent cooler if equipped with better fans.
but running everything at stock it shouldn't have much trouble with any CPU you choose.
you can always upgrade that later if necessary.

PSU will more depend on your GPU plans.
if sticking with the GTX 1080, it should be enough.
if upgrading to something better, you may need an upgrade there also.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

Auchhior

Commendable
Oct 12, 2020

I was looking at the 10700K and 11600K both at Microcenter as well, and both were $250, and the 10850K was $300, so I figured splashing the extra $50 for the extra cores/threads makes more sense.
Do you know where I could get a specific board recommedations? Or do you have one yourself?
I didn't need a huge upgrade in the performance, I built my current system for long term usage as well, and was fine with it, but a friend told me the 10850K was on sale for $300 and that seemed like a good value, which is why I was asking whether it'd be possible to just plug and play the rest of my current parts with the 10850K and a new mobo. I'd probably just turn around and sell my 9700K and mobo to try and make some of the money back.
the CM Hyper 212 Evo is still a decent cooler if equipped with better fans.
but running everything at stock it shouldn't have much trouble with any CPU you choose.
you can always upgrade that later if necessary.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on overclocking or anything right now, I know if I ever do I'd need a beefier air cooler, but at stock I didn't know if the Hyper 212 Evo was good enough or not.
PSU will more depend on your GPU plans.
if sticking with the GTX 1080, it should be enough.
if upgrading to something better, you may need an upgrade there also.
I'd be sticking with the 1080 for the foreseeable future. I may consider an upgrade whenever GPU prices normalize, but not before then.

I was looking at the 10700K and 11600K both at Microcenter as well, and both were $250, and the 10850K was $300, so I figured splashing the extra $50 for the extra cores/threads makes more sense.
if you're really worried about multi-thread performance, maybe.
but the 10850K lacks in single core performance compared to the others.
Do you know where I could get a specific board recommedations? Or do you have one yourself?
the Z590 ASUS listed in my signature is a VERY nice board, especially for an 11th gen CPU and PCIe 4.0 components.
I'd look at something like this.
i would avoid mATX boards unless really concerned about desktop space and building a midget system in a tiny case.

InvalidError

Titan
I would stick with what you already have, 10th-gen isn't a particularly significant upgrade over what you already have for most games and day-to-day use unless there is a specific application giving you trouble right now. If you haven't raised the long-term power limit in your BIOS, you may want to do so. The 212 EVO can handle 120W quite well: my i5-11400 maxes out at 115W (4.2GHz all-cores multiplier limit for non-AVX) without breaking 70C.

the Z590 ASUS listed in my signature is a VERY nice board, especially for an 11th gen CPU and PCIe 4.0 components.
i would avoid mATX boards unless really concerned about desktop space and building a midget system in a tiny case.
You must be new to this game. More and more people are going towards mATX boards for a few reasons. First it saves them money more times than naught, and secondly not everyone wants to spend money on a board for pci slots they'll never use. As far as the tiny case thing goes ... most people I know use those mATX boards in mid towers.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
. As far as the tiny case thing goes ... most people I know use those mATX boards in mid towers hence the reason pretty much all midtowers have standoffs for those boards.
Standoffs have nothing to do with mATX vs ATX size boards, no matter the case.
The standoffs align the board with the IO plate, and keep the back of the motherboard from touching the case.

InvalidError

Titan
First it saves them money more times than naught, and secondly not everyone wants to spend money on a board for pci slots they'll never use.
Perhaps most important: many ATX-sized boards don't even have more usable PCIe slots than mATX these days since the PCIe lanes go to an extra M.2 slot instead of a second x4 or a couple of x1. A bunch of boards also dump one (and sometimes the only) x1 slot right under the GPU where people cannot use it without a riser.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I think you are thinking of ITX boards.

You must be new to this game. More and more people are going towards mATX boards for a few reasons. First it saves them money more times than naught, and secondly not everyone wants to spend money on a board for pci slots they'll never use. As far as the tiny case thing goes ... most people I know use those mATX boards in mid towers.

Condescending replies to people here will earn you very few friends. Consider this an official warning.

You must be new to this game...
More and more people are going towards mATX boards for a few reasons. First it saves them money more times than naught...
secondly not everyone wants to spend money on a board for pci slots
it saves money because it's a lower tiered device.
you could also buy a lower budget ATX board to save money.

if you imagine modern systems are still using PCI slots,
than i'd say you're either the one that's "new" to the game
or maybe just old and lost track.
As far as the tiny case thing goes ... most people I know use those mATX boards in mid towers.
The maximum size of a mATX is 25% smaller than ATX.
designed for smaller systems.

most people you know aren't looking for the features of ATX or E-ATX then
and are going with budget designed boards.
is that supposed to mean that they have some advanced outlook on computer systems because they want lower budget hardware?

InvalidError

Titan
There are plenty of decent mATX boards out there that pack just about as many features as full-sized boards costing twice as much, they aren't really "lower tier" products, just more compact versions that give up little more than the 3rd and 4th NVMe slot most people will never need, just like how most people never needed more than one PCIe slot for the GPU pre-NVMe.

you could also buy a lower budget ATX board to save money.

if you imagine modern systems are still using PCI slots,
than i'd say you're either the one that's "new" to the game
or maybe just old and lost track.
The maximum size of a mATX is 25% smaller than ATX.
designed for smaller systems.

most people you know aren't looking for the features of ATX or E-ATX then
and are going with budget designed boards.
is that supposed to mean that they have some advanced outlook on computer systems because they want lower budget hardware?
Find a mid-tower case that doesn't include both ATX and mATX. Goodluck with that. While your at it maybe you can fill us in on what features the ATX board down below offers that most PC users will fill left out if they opt for the cheaper mATX board.

ASUS TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS - mATX

3280745-xl-b.jpg

ASUS TUF GAMING H570-PRO - ATX

3312424-xl-b.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
While your at it maybe you can fill us in on what features the ATX board down below offers that most PC users will fill left out if they opt for the cheaper mATX board.
The main thing that gets left out of cheaper boards is 20Gbps USB3 (2x2) regardless of ITX, mATX or ATX or chipset. That is the only thing I am particularly disappointed with about the TUF B560M and nearly all other boards under $200.

Auchhior

Commendable
Oct 12, 2020
I'd look at something like this.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144396
MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA $139.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119383
ASUS TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI $149.99

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-lake-26ghz-six-core-lga-1200-boxed-processor
Intel Core i5-11400 $169.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303957454122
Intel Core i7-11700F $314.99
Aren't B560M boards budget ones? I also wanted to avoid F sku cpus, because my GPU was purchased second hand, and while it's running fine, I don't want to be unable to use my computer at all if it were to fail on me.

The main reason I was asking about the 10850K was it looked like a strong value compared to other offerings.

Oh wow really? I watched some youtube videos and the 10850K seemed as good or better than the 11700K in most of my use cases. I understand that unless I'm actually using the extra two cores, they're not good value, but at Microcenter at least the $50 difference seemed neglible to me.

I would stick with what you already have, 10th-gen isn't a particularly significant upgrade over what you already have for most games and day-to-day use unless there is a specific application giving you trouble right now. If you haven't raised the long-term power limit in your BIOS, you may want to do so. The 212 EVO can handle 120W quite well: my i5-11400 maxes out at 115W (4.2GHz all-cores multiplier limit for non-AVX) without breaking 70C.
Other than enabling XMP, I've been running everything completely stock. I watched some videos and noticed that in direct comparison the 9700K vs the 10850K wasn't worth upgrading for. I was looking for more future "proofing." I'm not someone who hops on the newest technology when it comes out, so it'll be a while before DDR5 or PCIe Gen 4 is something I consider. I was just worried the 9700K would start to lag behind in 2-3 years and was considering the 10850K because it seemed it would be solid for another 5-6 years.

In what way is the current system not meeting your needs?

Where is it lacking?
My current system is perfectly fine. This was more of a looking to the future upgrade? Since the 9700K is just 8c/8t, I was worried it would start to show it's age 2-3 years down the line since I wanted to stick with this system for another 5-6 years, and wondered if the 10850K would be longer lasting. Especially because it looks like the 10th series chips are being sold at good price to performance ratios.

USAFRet

Titan
My current system is perfectly fine. This was more of a looking to the future upgrade? Since the 9700K is just 8c/8t, I was worried it would start to show it's age 2-3 years down the line since I wanted to stick with this system for another 5-6 years, and wondered if the 10850K would be longer lasting. Especially because it looks like the 10th series chips are being sold at good price to performance ratios.
In that case...look to what is happening "2-3 years down the line".

Reactions: helper800
Aren't B560M boards budget ones? I also wanted to avoid F sku cpus, because my GPU was purchased second hand, and while it's running fine, I don't want to be unable to use my computer at all if it were to fail on me.

The main reason I was asking about the 10850K was it looked like a strong value compared to other offerings.

Oh wow really? I watched some youtube videos and the 10850K seemed as good or better than the 11700K in most of my use cases. I understand that unless I'm actually using the extra two cores, they're not good value, but at Microcenter at least the $50 difference seemed neglible to me.

Other than enabling XMP, I've been running everything completely stock. I watched some videos and noticed that in direct comparison the 9700K vs the 10850K wasn't worth upgrading for. I was looking for more future "proofing." I'm not someone who hops on the newest technology when it comes out, so it'll be a while before DDR5 or PCIe Gen 4 is something I consider. I was just worried the 9700K would start to lag behind in 2-3 years and was considering the 10850K because it seemed it would be solid for another 5-6 years.

Upgrade when you feel the need to. If in 3 or so years you feel the 9700k not performing you should be able to get a second hand 10850k / motherboard for less than you can now or there may be an even better option that comes along that is even better for you than the 10850k. In 3 years a top of the line system of now second hand will probably cost half or less than what it does now.

TLDR; Only upgrade when you see an immediate need or performance uplift in your use cases.

InvalidError

Titan
The i9-10900k will look like a steaming pile of poo once Intel launches its in-house 7nm chips in 2023. If your current PC is doing perfectly fine now and will likely serve you perfectly fine for another 2-3 years, save your money and get something better than the i9-10850k will ever be while using less than half as much power then.

I upgraded from my i5-3470 (which was still perfectly fine for most of what I do on a regular basis) last month mainly out of concern for a possible failure in the middle of the on-going chip shortages and rising prices without a viable backup PC.

logainofhades

Titan
Hello, I was looking at buying the i9-10850K from Microcenter(at $300) and wanted recommendations on a good board to go with it, ideally priced at or under $250.

Right now, my build has an i7-9700K, an Asus Prime Z390-P, a Hyper 212 Evo, a Gigabyte 1080 Windforce, and a 600W 80+ Bronze PSU. I'm planning to run the new system stock and wonder if swapping out my CPU+Motherboard would mean that I also need to swap out the CPU Cooler and PSU? My usage is mainly gaming and schoolwork, with very light video editing intermittently.

I also wanted to know if this was a good value. I was planning on using the PC long-term for 5-6 years and a friend told me the 10850K was a good value at the discounted price.

As I am not aware of any quality 600w units, I would recommend getting a better quality PSU, before you even think of upgrading anything. Your system, as is, should be fine, for your usage, otherwise.

Reactions: helper800