Pc Spec:
SF Leadtex III Superbronz 650 W
Intel I5-11400f LGA1200
Gigabyte B560M DS3H
Gskill 8x16 Trident z 3200Mhz
Palit RTX3070 TI Gaming Pro
Gigabyte 480 Sata SSD
WD 2TB Blue Sata 3.5" HDD

I wanted to pair another 2x8 GB of ram. Currently I have 2x8 DDR4. Wanted to upgrade to 32GB.
I heard that pairing all 4 slot of ram in dual channel motherboard will decrease the clock speed.

Question 1: Will it really decrease my memory speed ?
Question 2: Is there anything else I should be looking out for ? In terms like decreasing the power from what I have now if I add another 2 ram.

Solution
Using 4 dimms puts extra load on the memory controller and can reduce the maximum speed that RAM can be run stable. Mixing 2 separate is not guaranteed to work even if you buy the same make and model, only RAM from a matched kit is guaranteed to work together. The best option is sell what you have and get a 2x16gb kit assuming you actually need more than 16gb.
Using 4 dimms puts extra load on the memory controller and can reduce the maximum speed that RAM can be run stable. Mixing 2 separate is not guaranteed to work even if you buy the same make and model, only RAM from a matched kit is guaranteed to work together. The best option is sell what you have and get a 2x16gb kit assuming you actually need more than 16gb.

Reactions: SlavfromBulgaria
Solution