Questions about using an old HDD on an existing PC.

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone!

So I have some videos I wanted to transfer over from an old internal HDD that I have thats currently sitting on one of my HDD trays inside my PC. But I was wondering if some of the old files/drivers that are in it would cause any sort of issues with my new HDD that I installed when I switched over to an entirely new setup.

Both of them have Windows 8.1 installed on them so I don't think booting up should be an issue, but I wasn't sure if I would run into any complications with reconnecting my old HDD onto my new system with my new HDD plugged in at the same time.

Also this is a bit of a side note that I guess isn't too much of a bother but I can't seem to find a proper fix for it. When I installed my new motherboard (ASRock Z370M Pro4), both of my USB 3.1 slots on my motherboard either don't work or I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. They worked previously on my old motherboard..the ports at least. But whenever I plug something into them now it's as if nothing is there. I tried going to the BIOS to see if I had to enable something but I'm not sure if thats where the issue lies. Worst case scenario could I buy like an external usb 3.0-3.1 adapter that works just as well to simply give me more ports?

Anyways help for my HDD question and USB 3.1 issue would be appreciated :) Thank you.

Solution
When you add another HDD:
  • you have to make sure, boot sequence in BIOS remains the same (it may change automatically by adding another drive);
    files in old hdd could cause trouble, if they are infected with some virus (other than that no drivers/files can cause any problems).
As to about USB 3.1 ports - you may need to install drivers to enable those ports. You mentioned, you changed motherboard. Did you reinstall windows after this change?
When you add another HDD:
  • you have to make sure, boot sequence in BIOS remains the same (it may change automatically by adding another drive);
    files in old hdd could cause trouble, if they are infected with some virus (other than that no drivers/files can cause any problems).
As to about USB 3.1 ports - you may need to install drivers to enable those ports. You mentioned, you changed motherboard. Did you reinstall windows after this change?

Solution

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015

So I'm assuming when I reconnect the HDD, I got to go into the bios and make sure it boots from my current HDD correct?

Also yes, I did a clean install of Windows on my new HDD.