Question Questions about WiFi 6E.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have a wifi 6E enabled modem and 1.5g internet. I am considering to buy a PCIE Wifi 6E card. The modem is downstairs and my PC is on the second floor upstairs....

1. How does this setup compare with powerline ? In terms of speed and latency ?
  2. The PCIE wifi 6e card in the link above has an M.2 ax210 intel card under the heatsink ? Can I swap it with an Intel ax411 ?
  3. Does the card in the link cause any latency ? Because there are two interfaces, PCIE and M.2 ? Is there any overhead ? Does it increase CPU usage ?
  4. Are USB Wifi 6e adapters worth it ? USB bandwidth could be shared ? USB has more overhead ? Latency is higher ? USB adapter increases CPU usage ?
  5. What is the minimum speed that I will get with this Wifi 6E setup ? Will I get at least 700mbps with my 1.5g internet ?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a wifi 6E enabled modem and 1.5g internet. I am considering to buy a PCIE Wifi 6E card. The modem is downstairs and my PC is on the second floor upstairs....

1. How does this setup compare with powerline ? In terms of speed and latency ?
  2. The PCIE wifi 6e card in the link above has an M.2 ax210 intel card under the heatsink ? Can I swap it with an Intel ax411 ?
  3. Does the card in the link cause any latency ? Because there are two interfaces, PCIE and M.2 ? Is there any overhead ? Does it increase CPU usage ?
  4. Are USB Wifi 6e adapters worth it ? USB bandwidth could be shared ? USB has more overhead ? Latency is higher ? USB adapter increases CPU usage ?
  5. What is the minimum speed that I will get with this Wifi 6E setup ? Will I get at least 700mbps with my 1.5g internet ?
The first question you have to answer is, do you have a strong 5Ghz signal today? If not, the 6Ghz will be worse.

So I would avoid that particular card it seems they are being extremely deceptive.
They are adding the 2.4, 5 and 6 speed together even though you can only use 1 at time.
Next I can't see why you would put a heat sink on a wifi chip. The power is extremely low. I suspect it is all for appearance.

1. In general powerline will be slower but it will be more consistent. So if you do mostly downloads then the wifi would be better. If you play online games then powerline is much better. Most other things they are kinda the same.
  2. Are you sure it is actually a m.2 card and not the same part number soldered to the board. In any case the 411 uses CNVIO and the 210 card is PCIE. I am not sure what advantage if any the 411 has over the 211. Maybe the 411 is just newer. Neither will work in a 210 connection
  3. Wifi has so much latency you will never be able to see any interface delays if they exist.
  4. Again the overhead in the wifi is going to be much higher. It depends on your motherboard not all USB ports share the same pcie lanes. They are so fast compared to wifi I doubt it matters anyway.
  5. No way to even guess. If you lived in a house with cement walls it could block most the signals and be slow. You might get the 700mbps if you are lucky. I know people can get in the 900mbps range in the same room but numbers in the 600mbps range are more common in otehr areas of the house. This though is purely anecdotal information since everyone house is different and you never know who likes to brag.

Reactions: knowledge2121

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
If i go with cheap 1gbps moca 2.0 adapters , will that setup give me better speeds compared to a wifi 6E card ?

Does it matter which 1gbps moca 2.0 adapter i pick ? Do all 1gbps moca 2.0 adapters perform the same ?

What is the minimum speed i would get with a moca 2.0 with a 1gbE port ?

Yes, the real world speed for MOCA is very close to ethernet, you should get around 900+mbps. So yes, it'll be better than real world 2x2 wifi 6E, especially since wifi 6E at 6ghz is very distance limited. So between floors, it's unlikely you'll be able to get full wifi 6E speeds, if you can connect at all.

Keep in mind that you'll also need to install a point of entry filter, which can be installed where the main cable line feeds into the main coax splitter for the house. Do you know where your main coax splitter is located?

Never heard of either of those brands but MoCA is a industry standard and I don't think any of the companies actually make their own moca chips. I suspect as long as you buy 2 from the same vendor they will work fine, in theory you should be able to use different vendors.

It is strange the only difference between the 2 starlink units you post is the more expensive one has 2 ethernet ports rather than 1. You could buy a small switch to get more ports for much less. Maybe a amazon/ebay thing.

The longer term favorite was gocoax and was pretty much the only option for the 2.5 devices until say a year or two ago, now there are many brands. What is strange is the huge difference in the price between the USA and other countries prices. You can get a pair of the units that also have 2.5g ethernet port for $120 but in CA they cost a lot more even when you factor in currency.

Now if you actually wanted to use the full 1.5g internet you would need the moca boxes with 2.5g ethernet ports. It will of course just run at 1gbit if you buy units with gigabit ports
Moca though is not full duplex so you can not actually send and receive 1.5g at the same time like you can eithernet. The total bandwidth is 2.5g so you can get close to 1gbit full duplex but you will not get full 1.5gbit full duplex even with moca units that have 2.5g ports.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
but you will not get full 1.5gbit full duplex even with moca units that have 2.5g ports.

Therefore I am going with the ones that have 2Gbps throughput(1Gbps full duplex). Now the question is, No matter which 2-pack Moca 2.5 kit with a 1gbE port I get, I end up getting the same speeds ? All brands perform the same ? Also, All of them have the minimum 2Gbps throughput(1Gbps full duplex) ?

EDIT: Actually, My ISP's advertised specs are DL:1.5Gbps and UL:940Mbps, So the max throughput is 2.44Gbps. I better get a Moca 2.5 with a 2.5gbE port.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about speed, the 1gbps ethernet port will be your bottleneck. The chances of doing both a full 1gbps download and 1gbps upload at the exact same time will be slim. 2.5gbps would give you more headroom, but I don't think it matters too much in your case. In any case, it'll be much faster than 6ghz wifi in a different room between floors.

Don't get too caught up in the numbers. The only thing that you will ever use large amounts of bandwidth for is file downloads. I guess it depends on how much of that you actually do per month. If spend extra money to make it work at 1.5g rather than 1g how much actual time did you save. For most people you might save a few minutes total a month.

Faster transfer speeds once you get above say 100mbps do not have much affect on any other traffic than downloads. Things like online games might use 1mbps up and down and will not use more even if you have it. Similarly things like even 4k netflix will use less than 30mbps and not use more even if you have it.

It all depends on what you are doing. Most people do not fully use what they pay for and the ISP is more than happy to sell people bandwidth they will never use.