Question Questions about WiFi Extenders

I purchased a WiFi Extender (Wavlink)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0778PM5GR/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
It seems to be working to get a signal to my Backup Generator located about 65 feet from my Wireless ZTE Router and about 30 feet from the Extender.
The generator has a built-in WiFi module.
The signal that the generator reports each day is approx -68dB.
I downloaded and installed the Netgear WiFi Analytics App and it sees 2 Connections (my Rogers wireless router RogersD2D3) and the Extender (RogersD2D3_EXT).
The signal strength at the router is Excellent (between 0dB and -25dB).
The signal strength next to the Extender is -52dB.
The Extender has 3 LEDs indicating signal strength and all 3 are lit.
I basically want to know if this thing is working as it should.

My Dell Inspiron laptop is connected to the Wireless router . If I sit next to the Extender and ask it to connect to the Extender, it can't. Am I understanding how this is supposed to work wrong?

Here is my question....should the signal strength next to the Extender be similar to the signal strength next to the Wireless Router if I have it set to Repeater Mode?

Changed the above sentence - I mentioned Extender twice when the second should have been Wireless router. duh!

To put it another way, should the signal strength 6 feet from the Extender be the same as it is 6 feet from the Wireless Router?

So let's concentrate on that one last question.

If more information is needed please let me know.
Thanks
Doug

Last edited:
We think of WiFi as just being WiFi, but there are a lot of different variables. Frequency, channel width, speed, feature set, etc. A specific setting with in that set of variables can cause 2 devices to be incompatible (won't connect to each other). Normally it's not an issue, but just because your laptop won't connect to the extender does not mean it's not working ... it's more likely that they are not compatible with your current settings.

What you describe makes it sound like the extender is working (but I admit what you say is a bit confusing). The mode should not have an effect on the signal strength, but instead on how the extender interacts with other devices.

It seems now that the Wavlink Extender I bought was faulty.
Not only that but it required me to change the default IP address of my Wireless Router to get it to wok.
So basically it was a piece of junk.
I quickly bought a Netgear Extender and it worked great first time out of the box.
I would not recommend Wavlink.
Their web site is a joke and their instructions need someone who speaks english to rewrite them.

TRENDING THREADS