Questions about Windows 7 with new Mobo

Soltanus

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I have a few questions concerning Windows 7 64bit Pro and my new motherboard. Before the questions I guess I should explain, my old MSI P67A-GD55 was bricked by a BIOS update. I sent it in for RMA, but while it's away, I decided I'd go ahead and get a new Motherboard. I went with an Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3. Windows 7 is installed on a Samsung 830 SSD right now. I put the new motherboard in and surprisingly Win 7 actually fully booted up to the desktop. It took it a few minutes of searching for driver, but then the window went away and my mouse and keyboard started working. Ethernet port still doesn't work, I know I need to install the new drivers. Btw, my windows 7 is an OEM disc I bought from Newegg.

Here are my questions:
1.)Should I go ahead and reinstall Windows 7? I was hoping to avoid this so I don't have to go through the days worth of reinstalling my old programs and tracking down their activation keys. But I also have read many people saying that there may be conflicts with old drivers floating around from the old Mobo.
1a.)If you do suggest I reinstall windows 7, is there any way I can backup my Windows 7 configuration and installed programs without also backing up the current drivers?

2.)Since my disc is an OEM disc, will I be unable to reinstall Windows 7? Does Microsoft still let you transfer a key from one motherboard to another? I did this one time in the past for XP, but that was years ago.

3.)Also, am I later going to get an activation or a "non-genuine" copy of windows message because of the new motherboard if I keep using it with the current installation of Win 7?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Solution
1) No, go ahead and install the drivers that came with your new motherboard. Particularly the lan drivers.
Do not worry about any old drivers, they take little space and will not be used.
I have done this several times without issue.

2) OEM licences are tied to the original motherboard. When it comes time to activate, you may have an issue. But, MS seems to be very lenient on this.
You may have to talk to a ms rep and assure them that this is a replacement for a failed motherboard, and that you are not a pirate using this copy on any other pc.

3) You will have 30 days of full usage before activation is needed. If you do not activate, displays will start greying out and you will be limited to the option to purchase a new...

CDdude55

Distinguished
If i recall Z68 is based on the same silicon as P67 so it should work without an issue i would think. It's always usually best to resintall after a hardware change, as even if you can boot into Windows that doesn't mean that there are no stability issues.

Also OEM copies are tied to the motherboard you're currently using, though you can still install and use your licence for a board that is of a similar model.

There are a few things you can do.

1 and the easiest is install the new MB drivers and be done with it, I would not advise this as it could cause problems down the road.

2 boot into safe mode and uninstall any and all drivers you can find, after that is done reinstall new MB drivers and go from there.

3 backup and info you may need and format and reinstall the OS, this will nuke any games or programs you have and will need reinstalled.

Option 3 has a 50/50 shot of working. If it doesnt then call MS and explain what happend and they will most likly activate the new MB

halcyon

Splendid
I would recommend at least re-installing base-level drivers (chipset, power mgmt, audio). Check device mangler and ensure there's no yellow exclamation points or missing drivers. Uninstall any old mobo utilities you had and install/run CCleaner and let it scrub the registry.

Then, see how it goes and if you have any stability or performance issues.

1) No, go ahead and install the drivers that came with your new motherboard. Particularly the lan drivers.
Do not worry about any old drivers, they take little space and will not be used.
I have done this several times without issue.

2) OEM licences are tied to the original motherboard. When it comes time to activate, you may have an issue. But, MS seems to be very lenient on this.
You may have to talk to a ms rep and assure them that this is a replacement for a failed motherboard, and that you are not a pirate using this copy on any other pc.

3) You will have 30 days of full usage before activation is needed. If you do not activate, displays will start greying out and you will be limited to the option to purchase a new license. If you need to purchase a new license, I suggest a upgrade dvd which is considered as retail and can later be freely transferred.
I really doubt that you will need to resort to a new license.

Solution

Soltanus

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just go ahead with the still working install of Win 7 and see how that goes. If things start acting funny or I get BSODs, I'll try a fresh install.

So far, I've gone ahead and installed the drivers that came with the Mobo and haven't had any issues. All yellow exclamation marks in the Device Manager are now gone.