Questions/Dilemmas about upgrading to windows 10

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
So yeah im thinking this might be finally the time to up■ grade to a 64 bit win 10 home premium but im not sure my computer would have the necessary drivers to allow me to have a internet connection right off the bat since its a killer card... (using a Z87 MPOWER MAX) or am I wrong in assuming that its not covered by win 10?

and also I have a seagate wizard installed (I have a 3TB seagate barracuda and this software enables the OS to "see" the rest of the 3TB since without it it'll only see 1TB) so if I do a fresh install of win 10 from scratch will the files that were in the part of the hard drive that can only be seen with the seagate wizard installed be safe (still accessible as long as I can install seagate wizard) or will it also disappear instantaneously along with the seagate wizard software?

Luminary

Admirable
1) The Z87 MPOWER MAX has a Windows 10 network driver you can download here: http://msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z87-MPOWER-MAX.html#down-driver&Win10%2064

Your board is fully compatible with Windows 10, so no worries about your hardware not supporting the new OS.

2) If you install a new OS on the 3TB drive you'll be wiping it clean and need to format it in GPT to have access to all 3TB. This isn't a big deal, and during the Windows 10 install you should be able to do this without any issue. Since it will erase all current data be sure to backup anything you want to keep from the 3TB drive to a different location before installing the new OS.

I just installed Windows 10 on an 8 year old Dell laptop that Dell quit supporting 5 years ago. Amazingly, Windows 10 had every driver. I think you will be OK there. As far as the other part of your question, I think the safest best is to back up all your data to an external hard drive, then just format the drive and do a clean install and then set your drive back the way you want. No worries about lost data.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
When you upgrade you will keep all your Windows settings, personal files and most programs (probably all). However, there is no guarantee that everything will work.

Personally I think you are best to complete the upgrade and once Windows 10 registers you then do a fresh install of Windows 10. This is assuming that you have all the software and keys to reinstall it all again.

The good thing is if you do not like Windows 10 or you are having too many problems then you can revert back to your previous OS if you do so within 30 days. From personal experience the only problem I had was GPU driver but I think I caused that myself by installing 2 versions of it but I did a fresh install after the upgrade.

Here is a FAQ from Microsoft that may give you more detailed answers: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

If you like this solution and find it useful please select as solution.

Thanks

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

1.no its not about the board compatibility I am well aware its compatible but what I am asking rather if I may rephrase my question since I think it not clear enough on my part is will I have internet connection right off the bat when I install the windows 10 OS...

2.no its not going to be installed in the hard drive I also have a 128GB SSD (samsung 840 pro) and thats where the OS is located at...

the question if I can rephrase it to be clear is will the files on the part of the hard drive disappear since I also installed the seagate wizard (the one that allows my OS to see the rest of the 3TB where my files are also located)