Question Questions for CPU Upgrade

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
I built my computer back in December of 2018 and I use it mostly for gaming. I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600 so I can, finally, play Rust and other open world games with ease. But, I have a couple of questions.

1. Since I am only upgrading the CPU, what will my OS do? In other words, will I need to reinstall or reactivate windows.
  2. Other than making sure I have the latest BIOS version, what should I do to make sure the upgrade works out perfectly?
  3. I am currently running on the stock AMD CPU cooler that came with the CPU. Should I upgrade this as well as the CPU?

P. S. , This is my very first computer build and upgrade consideration, so I hope I don't sound like an idiot. I just want to be able to play games that require a good CPU. Also, I really like this computer and I want to ensure that is does not get damaged.

You shouldnt need to do anything other than making sure you have a compatible BIOS.
Sometimes a clean install of windows is needed, but usually thats to fix issues that may pop up. It should work without a clean install though.
The stock cooler should be fine, but depending on your case setup and temps a new cooler wouldnt be a bad idea. But you should give it a try with the existing cooler before making that decision.

I built my computer back in December of 2018 and I use it mostly for gaming. I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600 so I can, finally, play Rust and other open world games with ease. But, I have a couple of questions.

1. Since I am only upgrading the CPU, what will my OS do? In other words, will I need to reinstall or reactivate windows.
  2. Other than making sure I have the latest BIOS version, what should I do to make sure the upgrade works out perfectly?
  3. I am currently running on the stock AMD CPU cooler that came with the CPU. Should I upgrade this as well as the CPU?
P. S. , This is my very first computer build and upgrade consideration, so I hope I don't sound like an idiot. I just want to be able to play games that require a good CPU. Also, I really like this computer and I want to ensure that is does not get damaged.
Which MB do you have ?
  1. Don't have anything to do with Windows 10, W7 could be a problem.
  2. Just update BIOS prior to changing CPU and leave it at factory defaults.
  3. 3600 comes with own and adequate cooler.