[SOLVED] questions for the pro’s

flozfzx

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I started a new rig but i think my graphic or psu is shot or both:( they are old from previous built.

I just bought a 3900amd and a x570 mother from asus prime pro. My old graphic card is gtx1070 and my old psu is a ax860(4years old)i plug everything but the system doesn’t start, I take the power off my graphic card and it starts up but when i connect the graphic card it doesn't work. so i dunno what gives. Im assuming its the PSU ?

thank you

Solution
It's often difficult to set things in the BIOS.... with no display.... :)

The PSU works in another rig, so clearly it is not 'dead'. but, certainly it could be weak, and, maybe the initial startup load in the X570 with that CPU, GPU might be 'pushing it'...

You'd want to double check for any bent pins and CPU orientation in socket, of course, since they often sit 'sideways' with the logo relative to Intel builds...(a bad move on AMD's part, IMO...; put the triangle where ever one wishes, but, reading the logo straight on when the CPU is installed normally might prevent some 'BPS' (bent pin syndrome!)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you removed & remounted the GPU in the PCIE slot?

While a few years old, the AX860 should be plenty sufficient for that config.
If the 1070 worked before the upgrade, it would be very unlucky timing for it to 'die'.

Did you breadboard the system, outside of the case before building? CPU/MB/1xDIMM/GPU and appropriate PSU connectors?

flozfzx

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Have you removed & remounted the GPU in the PCIE slot?

While a few years old, the AX860 should be plenty sufficient for that config.
If the 1070 worked before the upgrade, it would be very unlucky timing for it to 'die'.

Did you breadboard the system, outside of the case before building? CPU/MB/1xDIMM/GPU and appropriate PSU connectors?
no i built it inside the case then plug everything in.

in bios it tells me to power the card but when i do it doesnt turn on.

Joshua Martin

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
thank you gor the feed back but i think im gonna get just another psu and graphic card. now it wont start but when i put ths parts back on my old computer it boots right back;(
So, you're putting it back on your other motherboard/CPU and it works fine? I don't think a new GPU/PSU is going to fix it.. unless I misunderstood you. Also, you might need to check and make sure your graphics are set to PCIe instead of integrated in BIOS. That may help.

It's often difficult to set things in the BIOS.... with no display.... :)

The PSU works in another rig, so clearly it is not 'dead'. but, certainly it could be weak, and, maybe the initial startup load in the X570 with that CPU, GPU might be 'pushing it'...

You'd want to double check for any bent pins and CPU orientation in socket, of course, since they often sit 'sideways' with the logo relative to Intel builds...(a bad move on AMD's part, IMO...; put the triangle where ever one wishes, but, reading the logo straight on when the CPU is installed normally might prevent some 'BPS' (bent pin syndrome!)

Reactions: flozfzx
Solution

flozfzx

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
So, you're putting it back on your other motherboard/CPU and it works fine? I don't think a new GPU/PSU is going to fix it.. unless I misunderstood you. Also, you might need to check and make sure your graphics are set to PCIe instead of integrated in BIOS. That may help.

Thanks for the feed back, I finally got it working, I think it was a the motherboard that i bought it was a asus prime pro( what a crap shoot) i switch it up with Asrock X570 pro and it worked fine i was suprised. With the Asus it wouldn’t boot the HD or turn on the GC. but ya its working fine.