[SOLVED] Questions NOR flash memory

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
manufacturers of NOR flash memory chips say that they retain data for up to 20 years but I am doubtful if it is possible to increase this retention estimate a lot? I write the firmware only once in the flash memory and store it

I don't want to lose retention

Solution
firmware OS of the snes cartridge is saved in flash nor memory ST M29W640FT
Given the Jedec standard of minimum 1 year power-off data retention is pretty much the worst-case scenario of after the maximum rated 100,000 writes (per the datasheet) and 1-year power-off at 85deg C, you'll pretty much want to do the opposite. Presumably the chip has only ever been flashed once (which is good) so it makes sense to either store it at the minimum rated storage temperature of -65deg C or to keep it powered-on at its minimum rated operating temperature of -40deg C.

That should maximize storage life, but exactly how long the data would last in either scenario is unknown. The chip itself (but not the data) should last for centuries...
firmware OS of the snes cartridge is saved in flash nor memory ST M29W640FT
Given the Jedec standard of minimum 1 year power-off data retention is pretty much the worst-case scenario of after the maximum rated 100,000 writes (per the datasheet) and 1-year power-off at 85deg C, you'll pretty much want to do the opposite. Presumably the chip has only ever been flashed once (which is good) so it makes sense to either store it at the minimum rated storage temperature of -65deg C or to keep it powered-on at its minimum rated operating temperature of -40deg C.

That should maximize storage life, but exactly how long the data would last in either scenario is unknown. The chip itself (but not the data) should last for centuries so if your object is to put the device in a time capsule then it would make sense to back-up the data to a more permanent media and include both a chip programmer and instructions to restore the data to the chip in the distant future

Solution

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
The NOR flash chip
M29W640FT 70N6 H it stores the firmware of my SNES cartridge and this cartridge with this chip is stored in the drawer at a maximum temperature of 40ºC in my house. How many years will this NOR flash chip retain the data? the cartridge I don't use is a reserve cartridge

M29W640FT-70N6.jpg

The NOR flash chip
M29W640FT 70N6 H it stores the firmware of my SNES cartridge and this cartridge with this chip is stored in the drawer at a maximum temperature of 40ºC in my house. How many years will this NOR flash chip retain the data? the cartridge I don't use is a reserve cartridge

M29W640FT-70N6.jpg

The chip itself might last 20 or even 30 years (maybe 50 years), but the PCB's deterioration is much faster and inevitable, regardless how much you care for it.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
In NOR flash memory the data loss happens 20 years after the data recorded on the chip or not? it is possible to extend the retention above 20 years for the NOR M29W640FT 70N6 H flash memory