Questions on a Build

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I have a few(3) questions about the computer I'm going to build.

The first question I have is whether I should get a i5 4670K or i7 4770K. This computer is mostly going to be about gaming, but I want to be able to record my games, edit and render pictures, videos, etc.
Budget isn't a real problem here.

My other question is if my PSU will be able to handle all of the components.
I have a 600W PSU and a 7850. I plan on buying:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor(I don't know if I'll buy this yet, but I'll just include it in my PSU question to make sure I can handle an upgrade in the future.)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Here is the full list from pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kuppsy/saved/yTvZxr
The website says my build will take about 198W, now with the 7850, would a 600W PSU be enough?

I'm not planning on overclocking either CPU.

My last question(for now :D) is about a CPU Cooler and case fans.
On pcpartpicker.com it says that a fan in included for either CPU i'm looking to purchase. Is that enough? If not, what CPU Cooler should I get? I want to avoid liquid cooling and, as of now, am looking to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing. Is that good enough for either CPU? Or should I go for a Noctua cooler, or a completely different cooler?

Solution

PsychoGamingLemon

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Why are you getting a Z87 Motherboard and an Unlocked CPU if you're not Overclocking?
And yes, the PSU will be fine.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Get 2x8gb of ram not 1x8.

The combo gives a $25 discount,with a non "K" cpu and H97 motherboard should you save more or you must live near a microcenter.If you don't need/want the igp could you even go for a xeon.

To show what you can save:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ybz6qs
the motherboard seems only to support up to 1600mhz ram so picked that.

Only if you want to go for proper crossfire=slots at x8/x8 could you look at a "Z" series chipset.

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
So of the two I mentioned, which one should i get if I want to mostly game and sometimes record my games, edit etc.
and is the CPU cooler, the Hyper EVO, is good enough.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

You have your mind set on overclocking don't you? :p

If you can get it go for the 4790K/4770K.The first one is about to hit stores i guess.Here in Holland is it already in the price lists of some stores.Maybe not the most accurate way of saying when it really comes,but it shouldn't be to long imo.
If you can't wait will the 4770K be good as well.(since you're not going to overclock ;))

I would get something better than the evo,but that's me.For not overclocking would it be good enough (stock already should be),and even a little overclocking would be possible with it.

Which 600watt psu do you have btw?

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

I have a corsair CX Series 600W PSU.

Akhil Potukuchi

Honorable
May 28, 2014

Ans 1: I5 4670k or i7 4770k?? The i7 is serious overkill for games. Bf4 on ultra will only use 50-60% (at most) of your cpu. But if you are seriously into rendering videos and multitasking ( serious multitasking means running watchdogs on ultra and converting a video in the background ) You can just buy an i7. If budget is not an issue just buy the i7. Bcoz you'll be able to use it for anything. However the i5 4670k is also really great while running games but does not even come close to the i7 while multitasking.
Ans 2: Yes a 600w psu would be enough, if you don't overclock. And if you wont overclock in the future go for a non-K model with an h97 (or h87) Mobo. The money you save here can be spent on a better graphic card.
Ans 3: The stock cooler that comes should be enough for your cpu at 100 % load if you don't overclock. However if the temperatures where you live are high, a hyper 212 evo should be enough (Again if you do not Overclock).

I suggest you get an i5 4670(non-k) with an h97 mobo and a hyper 212 evo. You'll be saving 150 bucks approx. And if you sell your 7850 you'll get atleast another 50 bucks.
And then you can buy an msi r9 270x: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127761&cm_re=graphic_cards_for_gaming-_-14-127-761-_-Product $ 189.99

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

I already tried to tell him that,but he doesn't wan to listen.I posted this build,it even has a hyper threading cpu in it,
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ybz6qs
it's cheaper than his original build and even comes with a ssd added.

Akhil Potukuchi

Honorable
May 28, 2014

There's an ssd in his original build too. But what you need even more important for gaming is a gpu. that's why i suggested i5 4670/h97 with an r9 270x.

Kuppsy

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
If I were to overclock, which I'm not initially planning on doing, should I get the Hyper EVO and a PSU with more wattage?

And if I stay has factory clock the CPU cooler that comes with the i7 should be enough.

And I'm going with either the i5 or i7 because there is a deal at a local store(Microcenter) a CPU/Mobo Bundle.

Akhil Potukuchi

Honorable
May 28, 2014

YEs if you were to do mild to average overclocking get atleast a hyper evo. Any overclocking above 800 mhz and you will need a better cooler like the dh14.
Yes if you stay with the factory clock it is enough.
Great choice.
Edit: You may also need a 650 w psu if you plan to OC.