Question Questions on Cooling for Ryzen 5 2600x and Asus Rog Strix X470

Dec 23, 2018
I have an Ryzen 5 2600x, Asus Rog Strix X470. I am using the AMD stock cooler with two front of the case fans and one rear exit. The case I have is the Phantoeks P300S.

When i have the fans set as auto, while windows 10 is in idle the temp can flux from 40C to even 53 or 55C. Then the fan randomly kicks in and sounds louder.

I tried setting all my fans on full speed in BIOS which maintains 22C but i dont think I should have them set to full. I also don't over clock ever.

I was thinking of upgrading to the Corsair 540 case and getting either Noctua NH-D15 or a Corsair cooler.

Do you think both upgrades would help and what speed should case fans and cpu be set as?

Also will air or liquid cooling help a ton? I want my temperature to be very low.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What graphics card?

I doubt you need to upgrade your case for the sake of temperatures. What are load temps? If you find the CPU fan annoyingly loud, the NH-D15 would certainly be an option but personally I think it'd be overkill. Are you planning to overclock? Even something like a Coolermaster 212 Evo Black or Scythe Fuma Rev.B should be plenty.

Dec 23, 2018
What graphics card?

I doubt you need to upgrade your case for the sake of temperatures. What are load temps? If you find the CPU fan annoyingly loud, the NH-D15 would certainly be an option but personally I think it'd be overkill. Are you planning to overclock? Even something like a Coolermaster 212 Evo Black or Scythe Fuma Rev.B should be plenty.

I have the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card and a 750W Fully Modular PSU.

I dont game that much either. I have heard my case is bad for air flow so thats why I was considering the upgrade to the Corsair 540. I recently re-applied thermal paste after my Gigabye Motherboard failed and then I switched to Asus instead for a better board. I do have all Noctua fans other than heat sink. On average, should speed be set as normal? I just afraid why in idle windows would jump from 40C to 55C randomly without doing anything. This is only on Auto. I dont think the fan should be kicking in louder when on idle.

Dec 23, 2018
What power plan is Windows set to?

It's not unusual for temps to spike up briefly here and there at idle, there are almost always tasks going on intermittently in the background that temporarily increase CPU usage.

I have the windows power save option selected. I heard the Ryzen plan isnt very good.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Neither your CPU not GPU are very power hungry, you shouldn't need exceptional airflow to keep the case cool. What are you using to monitor temps, does it display any other temps for motherboard, PCH, anything like that?

As said above, you can try playing with the fan profile. Also make sure the cooler is mounted securely. If that doesn't help, you could also try undervolting if you want. But if it comes down to it I'm sure just getting a different cooler would be all you need.

Dec 23, 2018
Neither your CPU not GPU are very power hungry, you shouldn't need exceptional airflow to keep the case cool. What are you using to monitor temps, does it display any other temps for motherboard, PCH, anything like that?

As said above, you can try playing with the fan profile. Also make sure the cooler is mounted securely. If that doesn't help, you could also try undervolting if you want. But if it comes down to it I'm sure just getting a different cooler would be all you need.

Ill try that.

I was using both Ryzen Master and the BIOS to check temperature. I tried using CPUz but it doesnt show me processor i dont believe.

Dec 23, 2018
I like hwinfo64 (run the "sensors only" option). There will likely be a temperature sensor elsewhere on your motherboard, which can give you an idea of the temperatures inside your case (which would be high if airflow is insufficient).
I installed the extra Asus software for the Motherboard and they have a system that detects fan speeds and auto sets fan speed. That seemed to do much better than just leaving the fans in the BIOS on auto. It helped quite a bit but im still going to upgrade the cooler and gets a colder case.