Question Questions on faster FPS when connecting Laptop to Monitor...?

Mar 31, 2020
Noob question as I’m lost on what to do...
  • Just bought a MSI GF65 i7 9750 w/1660ti & 16gb Ram Laptop. Also purchased a MSI MAG27C 27” monitor to connect to the laptop. I used the provided HDMI cable to connect the two. The laptop screen is 120hz & monitor is 144hz (I realize I can only get 120hz both ways)
  • Issue is when playing Fortnite my FPS on my laptop NOT hooked up to the monitor is around 250-300fps. When monitor is hooked up with HDMI it caps at 120fps... I also tried a USB-C to DisplayPort cable & it states that’s its incompatible with this setup...
  • Vsync is off on Nvdia & Fortnite, and framerate is disabled
What am I missing or what do I need to do to get a higher FPS when my Monitor is attached to my laptop?...

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020
stick with 1 thread
Noob tech question as I’m lost on what to do...

• Just bought a MSI GF65 i7 9750 w/1660ti & 16gb Ram Laptop. Also purchased a MSI MAG27C 27” monitor to connect to the laptop. I used the provided HDMI cable to connect the two. The laptop screen is 120hz & monitor is 144hz (I realize I can only get 120hz both ways)
  • Issue is when playing Fortnite my FPS on my laptop NOT hooked up to the monitor is around 250-300fps. When monitor is hooked up with HDMI it caps at 120fps... I also tried a USB-C to DisplayPort cable & it states that’s its incompatible with this setup...
  • Vsync is off on Nvdia & Fortnite, and framerate is disabled

What am I missing or what do I need to do to get a higher FPS when my Monitor is attached to my laptop?...