Questions on installation of psu

ZackT

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello! Now I must say, I apologise for this question, but I've learned to really only trust you guys for proper information, after mishaps in the past.

I am going to attempt to switch the psu in my pc, the only thing I'm paranoid about, is making sure I;m properly grounded!

I have a wrist strap that ends with alligator teeth (not the socket ground), but am not sure if clamping it to the case will mean much if im taking the psu out. Not sure if this helps at all, but I have laminate hardwood flooring, and also a standard pair of construction site steel toes... if that helps at all :p.

Sorry for the mind boggling head ache I may have imposed on some of you, but any feedback is much appreciated.

Solution
Static is a concern, but really, connect it to the case, and you will be fine. Just don't do it on the carpet! Steel toe boots? No, now that is just getting silly. Don't be quite so paranoid, all will be just fine.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If your really paranoid you could just leave the PSU plugged in with the rear switch in the off position. This will provide a constand ground source while your working, that in combination with the wrist strap should alleviate any static issues. As long as your sure that your house was wired right and your PSU wasn't cobled together by monkeys this shouldn't be any sort of safety issue.

ZackT

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks, did it fine, only to find out my case has an aesthetic piece of metal blocking the socket for the power plug. Tin cutters helped me out there, and it's working like a charm!

Much thanks to everyone, this forum and its poster's are nothing short of a godsend!