Question Questions on Massive PC Upgrade

Nervly

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
Hey, everyone!

Planning to do a massive upgrade to my computer at the end of this month.
Here's what my rig will mainly focus on:
  • VR Gaming;
  • Streaming;
  • Digital Art;
  • Light Video Editing;
  • Light Blender & Unity.
My current build looks like this:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For €0.00
Motherboard MSI - Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For €0.00
Memory Kingston - HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Purchased For €0.00
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For €0.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For €0.00
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB ARMOR OCV1 Video Card Purchased For €0.00
Case NOX - Hummer MC ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For €0.00
Power Supply SeaSonic - S12II 430 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For €0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-19 08:34 CEST+0200

My planned build looks like this:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor €547.90 @ Globaldata
Motherboard Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard €219.90 @ Globaldata
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory €202.00
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For €0.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For €0.00
Case NOX - Hummer MC ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For €0.00
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €141.90
Custom nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super €739.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €1850.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-19 08:33 CEST+0200

Naturally, anything marked with 'Purchased' in either build means I've already got it in my current setup.
RTX 2080 Super's price taken from NVIDIA's website, under their EU MSRP.

Now, a few questions:

1. I didn't want to go too much over 1500€ and I was originally planning on keeping my current RAM sticks, at least for now. I understand the 3900X works best with 3600MHz 16CAS, which is what I went for on the planned build but it also hurts me to pay 202€ for that. I've seen there's a formula to calculate the speed in nanoseconds and apparently my current one sits at around 11ns whereas the 3600MHz 16CAS would sit at around 8.88ns. How much of a difference am I actually going to notice between both speeds when it comes to VR gaming, streaming and video rendering? Is it safe to keep my current RAM for now and then upgrade later if necessary? I've also been suggested at some point getting 3200MHz 16CAS and overclock that to 3600MHz. Is this safe to do and does it require extra cooling? Is it a difficult procedure?

2. Regarding the power supply, I see the EVGA SuperNOVA is very popular and seems to be a great choice. According to pcpartpicker, my planned build would sit at around 434w. Now, I have two options: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750w for 141,90€ or EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w for 115,90€. Would it get too tight if I got the 650w to save some money, or is it definitely recommended to go for the 750w instead?

3. So far I've never OC'd my CPU and have always used the stock cooler. The 3900x brings a stock cooler and I'm not sure I'll be OC'ing as I've never done it before and don't know if I'll actually need to. Is it recommended to get a separate cooler even if I don't OC? If so, what threats does using the stock cooler pose? If I should get a separate cooler, which one would you recommend? I've heard very good things about Noctua, so I think I'd go for those. Can I actually notice significant improvements in my use case upon overclocking?

4. Lastly, and this is an unimportant question so feel free to skip it, I will be selling my old parts. Considering I'll be upgrading everything except for the storage and possibly RAM, I might as well just sell my whole computer (still pondering on that because I'd have to get a new case, although I could just buy the same I have right now for 40€). Does 400€ sound like a fair price for the CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU and Case? Everything in their original boxes and with stock cooler. Where I live, the CPU, GPU and Motherboard go for about 100€ each, give or take, second-handed and I was aiming for 50€ for the RAM, 25€ for the case and PSU each. If I sold everything for 400€ that'd drop the costs below my budget and I'd feel more comfortable going for the new RAM instead.

I think that's about every question I have, will edit if I think of more. Should you need any extra information or anything just ask and I'll try to fill you in as much as possible.
Thanks in advance!

Jul 20, 2019
Hello!
So as for the ram, you will notice some performance deficits with 2400mhz ram when using Ryzen. While this is bad, 2400mhz is still suitable for the tasks you will be performing. I personally do not know of ram bottlenecking a system that badly when using lower speeds. I would recommend using the ram then upgrading it later on down the road. The power supply will be just fine for stock speeds. However, if you are going to overclock, I would definitely recommend getting a 750 watt at some point. It would probably still be fine but you can never be too safe. The stock cooler performs just fine as long as you aren't pushing a crazy overclock on it and if you don't live in the desert. It will definitely be louder than an after market solution but they have gotten so much better, especially AMD's. As for selling your old system, that seems like a fair price! If anything you could probably squeeze some more profit out of it if you were to sell it as a whole system (people are lazy). Even individual pricing that seems fair.

Reactions: Nervly

Nervly

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
Hello!
So as for the ram, you will notice some performance deficits with 2400mhz ram when using Ryzen. While this is bad, 2400mhz is still suitable for the tasks you will be performing. I personally do not know of ram bottlenecking a system that badly when using lower speeds. I would recommend using the ram then upgrading it later on down the road. The power supply will be just fine for stock speeds. However, if you are going to overclock, I would definitely recommend getting a 750 watt at some point. It would probably still be fine but you can never be too safe. The stock cooler performs just fine as long as you aren't pushing a crazy overclock on it and if you don't live in the desert. It will definitely be louder than an after market solution but they have gotten so much better, especially AMD's. As for selling your old system, that seems like a fair price! If anything you could probably squeeze some more profit out of it if you were to sell it as a whole system (people are lazy). Even individual pricing that seems fair.

Thank you so much for your help, appreciate it!

I'll be keeping my current RAM and upgrade down the road. Out of curiosity and for the sake of learning a bit more, what makes you prefer a 750w over a 650w upon overclocking? Can the wattage get very close to 650w after OC'ing? I think I'll keep the stock cooler for now but I'll still do some research on aftermarket coolers. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!