Questions on Nvidia 3D and 120Hz Displays...

G

I built myself a new system a couple of months ago and committed a great travesty- I jumped from AMD to Intel. However, this radical break with tradition is nothing compared to the heresy I am currently considering: Moving from ATi to Nvidia.

Simply put, I'm tempted by the new active 3D system. Before I make the jump though, I would like to ask the community a few questions concerning the way my computer is currently registering my TV...

Firstly, I understand a 120Hz display is necessary. I have a 32LG70 that is currently serving as my monitor, connected to my (ATi) graphics card via HDMI. I believe that this TV is a 120HZ display (According to some internet research), so if anyone can provide solid proof of this (or otherwise), I would be very grateful. If you can include a links to relevant tech sites (not that I doubt your word...guv), I'd also be in your debt as all my information has come from retailers. the documentation that came with the TV is unhelpful in this regard.

Next up and linked to my first question; My OS (Vista, soon to be upgraded to 7), only lists my TV as being 60hz (Checked vis display settings). At first I thought this was because it has flagged it as a generic PnP monitor, and so therefore assigned it minimal capabilities. However, catalyst has flagged it as 60hz too- and that program registers it as the 32LG7000, and I do not have the option to even force the display higher. Is this simply a cap put in place by catalyst, or does it mean my display is not 120hz? If my display can go higher, how would I go about achieving this frequency? Will it only be available once I have bought an Nvidia card?

Finally, something a little more open ended: Is this stereoscopic 3D with the price tag? Assuming my TV is 120hz, All I now need is a new card and the shutter glasses, and I can sell my old card to recoup some of that cost. It's still quite an investment though. So, if anyone out there has used the stereoscopic system, please give me your opinions. Also, what about polarised screens? If there's going to be a format war between active and passive 3D, I feel fairly sure that polarised systems will win out. But that said, gaming is an altogether different area, so they may not even overlap... I'm just not sure. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks to you all for the help.

-Evis.

sparky13

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Looks to me like it's 120 hz

http://www.productwiki.com/lg-32lg70/

Based on the description it also looks like you might need to 'enable' the 120 hz mode via your tv remote, did you look in the owner's manual? Before you commit to anything though, I would go to nvidia's website and contact them about your particular set just to be safe. Good luck!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html