questions on permissions

I have two PC's running XP Pro connected through a DSL router. I've
turned off simple file sharing. I can access a shared folder on each
machine from the other. To do this I had to add Everyone to the users.
Is there a way to add specific users instead of using Everyone? It looks
like I should be able to click the objects button and see the users on
the other machine but I can only see the machine that I'm using.
I'm sure there probably a networking group, but I couldn't seem to
find it in the multitude of ms newsgroups, a pointer would be nice.

gls858

I believe you would have to map the drive on which the users exist on the
other machine in order to see the drive and hence the users on the other
machine.

The XP Networking newsgroup is windowsxp.network_web.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have two PC's running XP Pro connected through a DSL router. I've turned
>off simple file sharing. I can access a shared folder on each machine from
>the other. To do this I had to add Everyone to the users.
> Is there a way to add specific users instead of using Everyone? It looks
> like I should be able to click the objects button and see the users on the
> other machine but I can only see the machine that I'm using.
> I'm sure there probably a networking group, but I couldn't seem to
> find it in the multitude of ms newsgroups, a pointer would be nice.
>
> gls858

Thanks Micheal. I'm trying to get my new PC set up so I can pull files from
the old one.

gls858
>I believe you would have to map the drive on which the users exist on the
>other machine in order to see the drive and hence the users on the other
>machine.
>
> The XP Networking newsgroup is windowsxp.network_web.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have two PC's running XP Pro connected through a DSL router. I've
>>turned off simple file sharing. I can access a shared folder on each
>>machine from the other. To do this I had to add Everyone to the users.
>> Is there a way to add specific users instead of using Everyone? It looks
>> like I should be able to click the objects button and see the users on
>> the other machine but I can only see the machine that I'm using.
>> I'm sure there probably a networking group, but I couldn't seem to
>> find it in the multitude of ms newsgroups, a pointer would be nice.
>>
>> gls858

You're welcome, good luck.

--

"MSNews" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Micheal. I'm trying to get my new PC set up so I can pull files
> from the old one.
>
> gls858
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>>I believe you would have to map the drive on which the users exist on the
>>other machine in order to see the drive and hence the users on the other
>>machine.
>>
>> The XP Networking newsgroup is windowsxp.network_web.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two PC's running XP Pro connected through a DSL router. I've
>>>turned off simple file sharing. I can access a shared folder on each
>>>machine from the other. To do this I had to add Everyone to the users.
>>> Is there a way to add specific users instead of using Everyone? It looks
>>> like I should be able to click the objects button and see the users on
>>> the other machine but I can only see the machine that I'm using.
>>> I'm sure there probably a networking group, but I couldn't seem to
>>> find it in the multitude of ms newsgroups, a pointer would be nice.
>>>
>>> gls858

Haven't figured out how to select the users yet, but mapping the admin share
gave me access to all of the files.

gls858

> You're welcome, good luck.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "MSNews" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Micheal. I'm trying to get my new PC set up so I can pull files
>> from the old one.
>>
>> gls858
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>>>I believe you would have to map the drive on which the users exist on the
>>>other machine in order to see the drive and hence the users on the other
>>>machine.
>>>
>>> The XP Networking newsgroup is windowsxp.network_web.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If you continue to find you are still not quite able to accomplish the task
as you desire, you might want to try this question on the
windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

--

> Haven't figured out how to select the users yet, but mapping the admin
> share
> gave me access to all of the files.
>
> gls858
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> You're welcome, good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "MSNews" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Micheal. I'm trying to get my new PC set up so I can pull files
>>> from the old one.
>>>
>>> gls858
>>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

Thanks Michael. I subscribed to the suggested group a couple of days ago.
I always like to lurk for a couple of days and check out the previous post
before I post.

gls858

You're welcome, good luck.

--

> Thanks Michael. I subscribed to the suggested group a couple of days ago.
> I always like to lurk for a couple of days and check out the previous post
> before I post.
>
> gls858
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> If you continue to find you are still not quite able to accomplish the
>> task as you desire, you might want to try this question on the
>> windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Haven't figured out how to select the users yet, but mapping the admin
>>> share
>>> gave me access to all of the files.
>>>
>>> gls858
>>>

>>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message