[SOLVED] Questions on Switching from AMD to Intel

Jun 9, 2019
I have an AMD Ryzen 2700x and ASUS motherboard and I want to replace this with an Intel i7 and Gigabyte board. Will I be able to simply plug my M2 ssd and hard drives into the new mobo and boot up Windows with everything intact?

Solution
Will I be able to simply plug my M2 SSD and hard drives into the new mobo and boot up Windows with everything intact?
Its not that simple. When switching platforms or from AMD to intel it is strongly suggested to reinstall windows to avoid potential conflicts.

Might I ask why you are switching boards and CPU? You could upgrade to a 3700x without a motherboard swap or windows reinstall and get better performance than an 8700k and near the performance than a 9700k. The 3700x would be cheaper and come with a cooler aswell.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an AMD Ryzen 2700x and ASUS motherboard and I want to replace this with an Intel i7 and Gigabyte board. Will I be able to simply plug my M2 ssd and hard drives into the new mobo and boot up Windows with everything intact?
hahahha...sorry.

Going from AMD to Intel? Probably not.
A full wipe and reinstall is strongly recommended, usually required.

Will I be able to simply plug my M2 SSD and hard drives into the new mobo and boot up Windows with everything intact?
Its not that simple. When switching platforms or from AMD to intel it is strongly suggested to reinstall windows to avoid potential conflicts.

Might I ask why you are switching boards and CPU? You could upgrade to a 3700x without a motherboard swap or windows reinstall and get better performance than an 8700k and near the performance than a 9700k. The 3700x would be cheaper and come with a cooler aswell.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS