Questions on upgrading CPU

Nekomancer

Reputable
Nov 16, 2016
So I'm wanting to upgrade my friends CPU for xmas, he currently has an MSI pro series Intel B250 motherboard and an Intel Pentium G series 3.5 GHz dual core processor and I'm wanting to get him either a core i5 7500 or core i7 7700 (depending on cyber Monday prices) now I've checked socket types and checked the motherboards site to make sure it was compatible and it is and I know how to physically swap the CPUs

The problem I'm having and that I keep finding different answers to is do I need to uninstall current CPU drivers before swapping? Some say yes some say no, and some say I will have to reinstall Windows, is that true? Also unplug from the wall before doing it also right?

Solution
no windows will still see the same chipset and mb. for the money go with the i5. if you have a local micro center check out there cpu prices. have your friend ask for cash or pre paid credit cards if he into gaming. in a few months from now nvidia dropping the next gen gpu. looks to be a beast of a gpu. he should be able to sell the 1050ti and make money due to the cripto miners. then with some extra cash can go upo to the 2060/2070 cards.

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
who are you listening to lmao.

there are not cpu drivers. that stuff is all handled by the OS and it will fix automatically upon rebooting.

something you should do is update the BIOS/UEFI to the latest version to make sure the cpu will start. you can see 100s of threads on how to do that.

before you buy this cpu. what is he using the computer for and what GPU does he have?

if he has a 1050 and isn't going to upgrade the gpu and only plays league of legends don't waste your money. the i5 will not make a difference.

if he has a 1060 and plays AAA titles such as Battlefield 1 then id get an i5

if he uses his computer for render tasks such as handbrake or blender or does video streaming etc... then get an i7.

no reason to buy stuff that wont help him at all.

Nekomancer

Reputable
Nov 16, 2016
Ohh, maybe I'm mixing things up on the drivers then, will I have to reinstall Windows?

As for his GPU it's a Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB GDDR5

I wanna upgrade the CPU when he runs games he wants to get through canyourunit website (GTA, the upcoming assassin's creed origins etc) they always say everything is good under both recommended and minimum except for the CPU

no windows will still see the same chipset and mb. for the money go with the i5. if you have a local micro center check out there cpu prices. have your friend ask for cash or pre paid credit cards if he into gaming. in a few months from now nvidia dropping the next gen gpu. looks to be a beast of a gpu. he should be able to sell the 1050ti and make money due to the cripto miners. then with some extra cash can go upo to the 2060/2070 cards.

Solution

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

ok so he plays AAA games. has a 1050ti and a Pentium g series. that helps a lot.

the 1050 ti is one of those inbetween gpu's I definitely wouldn't get the i7 as that would be wasted money, but you could go with an i5 if you wanted to get a few more fps.

don't buy a gpu right now as prices are outrageous with these miners buying up cards left and right. either a rx 580 or a 1060 would be ideal match for an i5 but for the mean time you are close to what is good with that 1050ti.

to be honest I would just buy the games anyway and see if they work with the Pentium before the i5 and only upgrade if it dosent work haha.